Archinect
anchor

Please help with Canadian MArch decision !

Flinnjeffery

Hello, so I'm in quite the dilemma.... I got accepted into Carleton with a full ride but just found out I got into McGill but without funding. All in all the costs between the two wouldn't end up being too significantly different since McGill is only 2 years. I feel so honored to have been accepted by McGill but the funding from Carleton is too good to pass up. Here's are some pros and cons of each:

Carleton:

pros

• full funding + some extra
  • overseas trip in first year 
  • larger appreciation for hand drawing 

cons:

• Ottawa is a less "active" city 
  • 3-year program 

McGill:

pros

• More globally recognized 
  • 2-years
  • in Montreal...

cons:

• no funding 
  • relatively more digitally driven (it seems)

I'd love to get an outsiders opinion! Especially from someone who's attended one of the schools. I'm at a crossroads....HELP

Apr 15, 22 10:36 am
Non Sequitur

McGill. All the way  Canadian tuition is dirt cheap anyways  

Carleton is but a shell of what it used to be. 

Apr 15, 22 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I turned down a full ride at Carleton 15y ago.

Apr 15, 22 11:10 am  · 
 · 

NS - You ungrateful Canadian! I suppose you also turn down free healthcare and buckets of Loonies as well. ;P

Seriously now - Flinnjeffery - I'd listen to Non Sequitur.  

Apr 15, 22 11:39 am  · 
1  · 
KatherineP

When you did your research on both programs, what one spoke to you more in terms of faculty and design direction? I think that and money should be your driving decision, prestige only gets you so far. Yes Canadian schools are cheaper than US ones by a lot but being around 40k in debt is still a significant amount. 

Also contact some alumni from both schools, that would be better to understand their real differences in detail.

Apr 15, 22 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: