Archinect
anchor

Advice on MArch?

Tinjin

Hi all,

Would love advice from MArch graduates.

Recently got accepted to five great MArch programs, three of which have offered me scholarships that will cover half tuition (they seem to be done negotiating). Even so, all will put me in about at least 100k (tuition + cost of living) of debt.

I have my BArch, have been working in architecture for four years, and really want to get an accredited degree but am hesitant to take on so much debt when I know it will be tough paying it off/I won't have much extra money for the next 10/15? years.

Wondered if anyone can speak to taking out so much in loans and whether they felt it was worth it. Currently trying to decide whether to go with my favorite school, which will put me in about $120k of debt, or apply again next Fall in the hopes of getting more aid/targeting cheaper schools.

Thanks in advance

Apr 7, 22 7:14 pm
Non Sequitur

don’t. No architecture degree is worth that much coin, not even worth 1/5th of that. Apply to cheaper accredited degrees and your future self will thank you.

Apr 7, 22 7:18 pm  · 
1  · 
newbie.Phronesis

^Seconded, affordability is better than a great program. Try negotiating more maybe, explain your financial situation? If they don't like your attempt, just apply elsewhere or defer acceptance :)

Also - half tuition covered but still 100k in debt!? Really, that's just ridiculous to me... Becoming genuinely curious how some of these U.S. schools actually attract and retain students, beyond those with rich parents or significant savings.

Apr 7, 22 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

I am just curious, what is the benefit of getting an M.Arch on top of a B.Arch?

Apr 8, 22 7:38 am  · 
 · 
starling

1. Look at the interest rates. I have heard that rates have been climbing to near 10% (which is absolutely criminal). It is a scam and don't do it. There used to be a time when going 20,30,40,50K into debt to get your maters degree was considered a good investment, even in architecture. Those days are gone. Even with an ivy league degree, you are looking at 65-70K tops for entry level position at a new firm (maybe a bit more since you have experience). Your debt will grow faster than you can pay the interest, so you will be paying this off for 25 years until forgiveness.

2. Find a more affordable college/program. And please relieve yourself of the myth of the "perfect/best/favorite" school

3. Really consider why you want to get another degree and if it will advance your career and finances more than staying in the workforce.

Apr 18, 22 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: