Archinect
anchor

Architectural Graduate Transitioning to Design Management

parchitectk

Hello all, first post! Hoping you can help me sort through a bit of a dilemma here.

So I've been studying architecture for years now, having done a technologists degree, bachelors and masters. Ive done some work, mainly as an assistant on single projects with a few practitioners in my area. Helping make design choices, doing some drafting, meeting clients, site visits, material selection and schedules, etc. I have recently gotten a job at a large renown practice, which is great but..another opportunity has recently presented itself. I have been presented with the opportunity to work as an assistant design manager at a large developer, with promise of learning the processes and mentoring under a senior design manager. I am very interested in seeing projects through to their completion, and love designing, but detailing and drafting can be a bit of a monotonous task at times. Has anyone else made this transition? What would you do in this scenario. I have yet to have a full year of experience in the field, but am keen to learn as much as I can

Mar 29, 22 12:33 pm
terriblejell0

I took the first developer/design position out of my Master's program I could and never looked back - this would have been 3 years ago. Since then I've gotten to work with architects far more talented than myself, on much more meaningful assignments. Never bored.

Unless the projects the developer has are completely awful, you will have so much more agency to make design decisions. I will say the workload can be crazy (hours aren't that long but responsibilities are endless) and the culture can be a bit toxic depending on where you are. Otherwise go for it!

Mar 29, 22 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
parchitectk

Hey thanks for taking the time out of your day to reply! Its really appreciated, and helpful in my decision-making. That's really awesome and helps give me a lot more clarity on what the position would be like! Im looking to have a good work/life balance and from what I can tell the place is very much people-oriented. Question for you though: are you going for architectural registration still? Do you find that the experience is applicable for a logbook (such as the one that is required in Oz)

Apr 1, 22 6:44 am  · 
 · 
parchitectk

Also, if I may ask, what does your day-to-day job responsibilities and work look like? Is it diverse and fresh? Do you ever work from home? What are some highlights from your experience?

Apr 1, 22 6:45 am  · 
 · 
terriblejell0

Just saw this. Yup, actually am freshly licensed and also have my real estate licenses as well. Useful for property management purposes. Pursuing my PMP next or taking classes on the supply chain.

Apr 7, 22 11:39 am  · 
 · 
terriblejell0

Day to day is varies by project phase. You spend more time on marketing the building/walking construction site w your contractor and lenders while it's under construction than you futzing around in the design phase. Work from home is very rare in this industry, and I would say the experience is as fresh as you make it! Def lots to do and never enough bodies to throw at all the issues and opportunities that come up. Hope this helps.

Apr 7, 22 11:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: