Archinect
anchor

OMA vs. HKS Summer Internship

archsurvivor101

Hey Guys, 

So I have been offered a summer internship position at both HKS in Los Angeles and OMA in NYC and was wondering what people's thoughts are? HKS is obviously offering more money being a corporate firm and OMA is giving a monthly stipend? Is the "starchitect" tag really worth it in the long run?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Mar 29, 22 2:08 pm
Non Sequitur

Say no to slavery and only work real jobs with reasonable hr/wages.  Stipends for 60+ hr weeks is not ok regardless of the name on the office door.  

Mar 29, 22 2:29 pm  · 
3  · 
SignPlease

If you have a 9-5 mentality, then stay away from OMA

Mar 29, 22 2:32 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

OMA who?

Mar 29, 22 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

OMA NY is far from the quality of OMA Rotterdam. They are churning out Gensler-level work with BIG diagrams.

Mar 29, 22 3:14 pm  · 
4  · 
natematt

I'm generally with other people on this that stipends are trash business. 
That said, internships often don't pay that much hourly either. So this comparison is not helpful. 

What's the stipend vs what's the pay. You don't have to say, but if it's a huge difference the choice should be obvious. In any case, I see that as more of a moral issue than a business one, if you can afford to take zero pay it doesn't mean you should. It devalues what you and others do. 

Mar 29, 22 3:32 pm  · 
2  · 
archsurvivor101

I would say there’s about a $8 difference in pay, if we were to take the hourly equivalent of the stipend.

Mar 29, 22 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

n o    n i n e   t o    f i v e    m e n t a l i t y

o

n
i
n
e

t
o

f
i
v
e

m
e
n
t
a
l
i
t
y  

Mar 29, 22 7:46 pm  · 
1  · 
archsurvivor101

thank you guys for replying. The pay difference is quite a bit and I’m not that concerned with working more than 9-5. I’m more concerned with the work environment potentially being toxic at OMA if anything. Do you guys think it would be worth working there and potentially doing cool design work vs. Working at a corporate firm and being a revit guy?

Mar 29, 22 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

ok so all memes aside i'd 1000000% do a summer internship at OMA. yeah, they'll raw dog you on hours and pay but you're getting to main line that secret OMA sauce. watch how they work. learn. absorb. there's a reason why memes like this exist:

that said, most likely you'll end up just as anon as the rest of us, but forever you'll have cool war stories/OMA resume clout

Mar 29, 22 8:01 pm  · 
1  · 
SlammingMiruvor

You too can one day open your own version of WorkAC!

Mar 29, 22 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

you have your entire life to master revit families/fuck with autodesk bullshit.

Mar 29, 22 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
archsurvivor101

You think I could survive living in NYC with the monthly stipend they are giving. It’s equivalent to about 16$ an hour.

Mar 29, 22 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

You need to be banned for that image

Mar 29, 22 9:14 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

The minimum wage in NYC is 15 dollars... so maybe just get a job at McDonalds, it will be a better work environment. 

Mar 29, 22 10:09 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

Jokes aside. OMA will be a better general resume buff by some degree. Of course it's just an internship, so in the long run, I don't think it holds much weight. The pay over the short term isn't that different honestly. And you're likely to get stuck doing less fun tasks in either location, quite likely the same sort of things. OMA will be more of a grind. And frankly I don't think you'll learn a whole lot more one way or another. You might consider if one of these city's is somewhere you want to live in the future, in which case that could either give you the opportunity to scope it out, or the opportunity to make local connections, which are probably more valuable than the brand recognition in that case.

Mar 29, 22 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

If money is a concern, you better take a hard look at budgeting the costs of living the summer in NYC on the amount of money OMA is going to give you. Do know anybody in NY you can stay with? I don't think you can afford your own place on $18/hr. without a lengthy daily commute.

Mar 30, 22 10:15 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

No ONE in the real world gives a fuck about working at starchitects anymore. Read the tea leaves, guys. HKS is not the greatest office either, but I hear the work culture is not bad and they do produce some good work.

Mar 30, 22 11:50 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Well, unfortunately I've got several competitors who have moved into our market and set up firms based on the premise of "hire me because I used to work for OMA and/or BIG". They have gotten a lot of attention from local clients and media. Never underestimate how easily starstruck Americans are.

Mar 30, 22 12:24 pm  · 
1  · 
monosierra

I agree. For younger employees from some schools, moving around between these star acronym firms is pretty common - once you get into one, it's a lot easier to move to another one of its ilk. MAD even had an ad where it stipulated that applicants must have worked at international recognized firms that has worked on major cultural / institutional projects - which pretty much limits candidates whose resume includes some well known star shops.

Mar 30, 22 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Still, the starstruck firms are few and far between ... its give one "street cred" in the beginning, but can also be a liability in the future, when people understand that you actually didn't learn much at one of those star firms. I now a few ex Gehry folk (for example) that are still bouncing around offices after their departure from said office.

Mar 30, 22 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

You bring up an interesting point. From my experience, quite a lot of young employees jump to commercial firms after a couple of years at a star shop - the pay difference is simply too much! Not to mention, at some point in those early years it becomes clear enough to some that they are not going to be celebrity designer or even climb up the senior ranks of a star firm. Going to a well-rounded practice is better for one's professional development.

Mar 30, 22 1:20 pm  · 
1  · 
architino

Congrats! I am currently working in OMA HK. "No 9-5 mentality" does not apply to HK office, everyone has pretty regular and reasonable hours here.

Mar 30, 22 8:51 am  · 
1  · 
archsurvivor101

Hey, thats great and thank you. Do you have any insight into the NYC office? \

Mar 30, 22 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

OMA for sure. Did you also apply to some smaller offices though?

Mar 30, 22 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
archsurvivor101

Hi, I already worked at a small office before so kind of wanted to work at bigger, more complex projects.

Mar 30, 22 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

HKS has a great culture in Dallas, my experience with the LA Office is not so rosy. 

Mar 30, 22 1:20 pm  · 
2  · 
Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

Do the OMA internship. 

Because in the worst case scenario, even if you completely fail in your career and end up becoming an Archinect regular, people would still give you the benefit of doubt given that you have once worked at OMA. For example:

-'This guy sucks, he's on Archinect all day.' 

-'Yeah, but he has worked at OMA.'

-'You are right, let's give him the benefit of doubt. Maybe he doesn't entirely suck.'

Apr 5, 22 5:14 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: