Archinect
anchor

Is TU Delft worth it?

undiscoveredcharms

Hello fellas! Some of us have heard back from the *UNIVERSITY OF OUR DREAMS* while some of us have not. I believe professional experience is as important as getting a Masters' degree. I'm from India where the situation is a lot different than in most countries. I got accepted to TU Delft's Urbanism programme and I love it. Heard a lot of positive feedback from fellas studying it currently but I want to know your views as well. Is it worth the fees? 
(I've applied for the Holland scholarship but haven't heard back from them)

I would be spending €70000 from my pocket for two years (read: a bank's pocket or my daddy's lol). What about job opportunities post graduation? 

Want some honest feedback. I'm worried.

Mar 25, 22 9:57 am
Non Sequitur

"I would be spending €70000 from my pocket for two years (read: a bank's pocket or my daddy's lol)."

BIG FUCKING NO on that one.  Even an accredited top USA school M.Arch is not worth that much coinage... let alone a Urban design degree... 

Mar 25, 22 10:25 am  · 
2  · 
undiscoveredcharms

Thanks mate!

Mar 25, 22 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

It's NOT worth paying that much.  No architectural degree is. The simple truth is that almost no employer one cares where you went to school.

The below numbers are for America so please keep that in mind . . .

A $30,000 loan will take you 15 years to repay with monthly payments of around $225 and actually cost you $40,000.  Depending on where you live your initial salary will be between $38,000 and $48,000.

My point is that you need to understand how much your monthly payments will be and for how long.  You also have to know what your initial pay will be. 

Good Luck! 

Mar 25, 22 10:27 am  · 
4  · 
undiscoveredcharms

Thanks Chad! Thinking about this one

Mar 25, 22 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

you get one year to work after you graduate - and then need to find an office to sponsor your visa - its not that easy

Mar 25, 22 11:33 am  · 
1  · 
Kinsbergen

You should have thought of this BEFORE you apply. Now you wasted the school admissions department time and the you got a place that could have been offered to another student who was responsible enough to do their own research BEFORE applying, instead of crowdsourcing an important life decision on the internet.

Mar 25, 22 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

The vast majority of your response in inane bullshit.

Mar 28, 22 10:26 am  · 
1  ·  1
Kinsbergen

Exclaimed the uncouth Chad.

Mar 28, 22 11:24 am  · 
 · 

Oh hush. 

If you think the schools are somehow negatively impacted by this scenario then you're obtuse fool. It's almost as foolish as asking the internet for major life deacons without doing any research. ;)

Mar 28, 22 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
preksharautela

In exactly the same position as you. 

It is a huge investment. 

Starting salary in the Netherlands would probably be €3,000, half of which would go into taxes and the other half in living there with minimal savings(or not). But that would still be a lot more than what we earn in India, plus the work culture and standards of living.

According to me, it basically boils down to - if you can spend 60 lakhs and where you wish to work (and we know how working in India as an architect really is)

I'm worried too :). Do update on the scholarship.

Mar 26, 22 5:47 am  · 
1  · 
justavisual

You get that salary for one year (IF youre lucky because the legal minimum is 2427 per month). Then after one year you need a visa sponsorship from an office even willing to do the paperwork....maybe a 10% chance. Is it worth it?

https://www.sfa-architecten.nl...

Mar 27, 22 3:47 am  · 
 · 
bernardmvjitorr

Many have returned as far as I know, and 60 L, I could invest that amount to build my firm in cities in India and let others build the business and get good returns rather than clinging to one single MNC employer and working hard to pay taxes more than compared to savings to complete the loan.

Dec 22, 23 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: