Archinect
anchor

Is it possible to work fully remote?

saltukbuğraerdoğan

Hello everyone,

I am a young architect who live in Turkey.I want to work overseas companies in my career but i am not sure if it is easy to achieve that because when i searched remote jobs(drafters mostly), companies have country limitations even it is remote.

Do you think i can find more oppurtunities if i learn Revit to find a job about BIM?(drafter,manager etc.)

And what is your thoughts and advices in general about this topic?

Mar 24, 22 10:40 am
SneakyPete

The differences in daylight hours will be more difficult to overcome than anything else. 

Mar 24, 22 10:51 am  · 
 · 
hiall

When you are in a different time zone, it is challenging to coordinate with all other disciplines. Not only do architect works require a great deal of communication within your firm, but also between your firm and your contractors...

Mar 24, 22 12:14 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

You might want to focus on international companies doing work in the Middle East, but even there you'll often find they're only looking for people in a specific country, or not looking for remote workers. It also might make a difference if you speak Arabic in addition to Turkish.

Mar 24, 22 1:39 pm  · 
1  · 
sofis

Imagine dragons forever

Apr 14, 22 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

I'm am going to only answer the question that is the thread topic title.

Short answer: Yes, but time zone difference... especially when they are  more than 4 hours apart can be difficult to work with. 

A slight more elaboration: In a different occupational field, I have done collaborative work with project team members including those in Europe. Turkey would be a few more hours difference that it would be further asynchronous. When that is the case, they are starting work day when you're going to bed or already in bed. This makes collaboration in real-time to be more challenging as it was mentioned.

Bottom line: Yes, but it can be difficult and a lot of firms prefer not to operate in such a fashion where they would have regional branch offices (if they are international firms) working on project teams serving a particular region. They also would prefer either working in the office or a hybrid approach which means you may need to relocate closer to that firm's regional office closest to you. 

Apr 14, 22 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

I once had a fantastic experience working with a team in Japan. My  coworkers and I in California would hand off drafts to the team in Japan at the end of our work day. When we came back in the next morning the work product was ready and waiting for us. It was like the work was being done by little worker elves while we slept. 

Apr 14, 22 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

I agree. It really depends on how the firm sets up the workflow into two project groups much like you might if you have a firm office with two work shifts and the night shift continues the project where day shift left off. One team member that helps coordinates is working intermittently across both work shifts like the project team. Good communication and coordination is absolutely necessary to keep things on track and all. It depends on how the firm operates, of course. As well as how well the coordinate tasks and so forth. It is more sophisticated project management than it may be for a single studio might have.

Apr 15, 22 2:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: