Archinect
anchor

GSD vs UBC vs McGill Architecture

MILLS

I am currently a Dalhousie Architecture student and will be graduating from the Bachelor of Environmental Design program in may. For graduate school, I applied to UBC, McGill, and the Harvard GSD and have been admitted to the GSD and am waiting to hear back from the other two.

I am currently trying to justify the enormous difference in cost between the Canadian degrees versus Harvard’s and am hoping to get insights into exactly what I will get out of a Harvard degree that I won’t get from the other two options. I have received zero financial aid, but am fortunate that my parents will be able to help with about half of the total cost.

Although I still have an incredibly broad idea of where I want to take my career, I know that I am interested in both practicing and in teaching, and that I want the work I do to be guided by sustainability concerns (environmental and social). I’m also keen to work in the UK as I’m a dual citizen, so degree recognition could be helpful in this endeavour. 

Any input on the comparison of the three regarding faculty, common areas of study and post-degree work, strengths and weaknesses of the programs, and student life would be much appreciated. 

Mar 14, 22 11:02 am
Almosthip

Its not worth the extra cost.  Take the cheapest route.  Less debt is best

Mar 14, 22 12:20 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Take the cheapest option.  Canadian tuition is virtually free relative to the USA and there is very little difference, other than the heath-stopping debt.  Don't listen to the sirens' songs and stay away from big name $chools.  

Mar 14, 22 12:25 pm  · 
3  · 
square.

ditch the gsd for now - get your standard march and if you want pursue one of the fancy 1 yr 2nd masters at a later time; you might get aid then

Mar 14, 22 12:49 pm  · 
1  · 
whistler

Wow, I never seen so many sensible replies in all my year's viewing this website. No big, long essays, just short concise and to the point.  I agree with everyone else.

Mar 14, 22 7:08 pm  · 
3  · 
KatherineP

Stick to Canada, it's why I didn't apply outside of here despite many making it sound like fancy universities such as harvard were it or nothing. No degree is worth being 100k+ in debt. Even if you got a full scholarship ride, living there alone is very expensive. 

Mar 14, 22 9:09 pm  · 
1  · 

cant disagree, the debt hardly seems worth it. Not having to carry that debt with you after graduating is very  freeing.

On the other side of the ledger, Harvard graduates have an easier path when it comes to teaching if that is a thing you really want to do. The network doesnt hurt either.

I did my MArch at U Manitoba and eventually ended up with PhD at U Tokyo with a full scholarship. Because I had zero debt on graduation from UofM I could afford to move to London, and from there to Tokyo without any burdens on my back.

The thing is, while getting into U of Tokyo was possible from U of M,  the Ivy education that I got for my PhD boosted my opportunities enormously - meaning I could teach at Ivy schools in Japan along with Sejima, Ban, Kuma, and Maki (and lets not be shy here, Kuma went to U of Tokyo and Columbia; Maki went to U Tokyo and Harvard; Ban went Cooper Union and Sci-Arc; NONE of them went to a regular school). Apart from the star-architects my colleagues were all from U of Tokyo or Harvard. Those institutions were the gate keepers to our academic careers. Most important to me, that background also allowed me to open an office in Tokyo, something I would have found very difficult if I hadn't gone to that specific uni. It changed everything. So it depends on what you are thinking about for your future... 

My honest opinion is that Harvard is not necessary to a great career. It will open doors, no denying it. But if you have a plan there is no reason you have to go there to get to the same level.

Mar 14, 22 9:32 pm  · 
4  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: