Archinect
anchor

Opinions on Rice MArch1 3.5y program?

whydw

Hi everyone,

I am an international student with a design background. Got offer from RICE MARCH Option1 (3.5years) with full tuition waiver and I am leaning towards it. I find it is a very small program. Have a few questions about the school and Huston.

1. Does anyone know how the current program is and any changes after Sara Whiting left ? To rice graduates and current students, how is the faculty in Rice? 

2. I read from some posts saying that Rice is heavily theory-focused, which I am interested in. But through their works, I feel the school focuses more on practical projects. Personally, I would like to pursue a career in research and academia other than working for big firms. I wonder if the 3.5-year program will help that. 

3. Are many works/studios/research based on Huston and Texas? I think I might leave Huston and work in other cities after graduation. Since I assume that I will spend much time studying Huston, it will be a pity...

4. How is Huston for international students, in terms of living there, the entertainment, safety and intergrating into local community, etc? How different is it comparing to east and west coasts of the U.S.?

I would really appreciate any of your opinions and suggestions. Thank you all.

Mar 8, 22 1:06 pm
atelier nobody

Rice is a generally reputable school, although I'm not familiar enough personally to say any more than that, and a full-tuition waiver is nothing to scoff at, but you should also think about the living expenses if there's no stipend attached.

I can say a little about Houston - the amount you'd have to pay me to live there for 3½ years is a LOT more than a full ride at Rice. It's hot and humid most of the year, punctuated by occasional hurricanes, and, even worse than the weather, it's full of TEXANS!!!

Mar 8, 22 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
placemaker

Hi! I'm currently in the 3.5 year masters at Rice. I'll do my best to answer your questions, but feel free to DM me if you want to talk further.

1. This was something I wondered about before attending as well. I didn't overlap with her, so I can't really speak to this firsthand, She seems to have had a lasting impact on the program's reputation (I've heard that getting the school to rank well was a big priority of hers), but it seems like other faculty are kind of relieved by her being gone because they can reclaim some autonomy. That's all I can really say there. The new dean is a little too new to have done much, but he seems to be extremely compassionate and socially-minded.

2. Theory does tend to pervade through everything at Rice, even though our studio briefs are often more practical programs. The first semester theory class is excellent, but the subsequent ones not so much. That being said, I've found that the theory you're exposed to through studio readings and discussions is most productive anyways. 

3. Most grad students have no interest in staying in Houston, so you certainly won't be alone on this front. Rice alumni end up all over the country. A lot of the research and courses do focus on Houston since we're here, and since it's a pretty fascinating case study for a weird kind of (non)urbanism. But even that content isn't too specific to Houston--it will be relevant elsewhere too. The new dean keeps talking about globalism as a key interest and focus, so I would guess that the school will be broadening its horizons more than narrowing them.

4.  I'm not an international student, so I can't speak directly to this, but I can say that Houston is an incredibly diverse city (the most diverse in America according to some metrics) with a huge international community. There are lots of international students at Rice Architecture, and the broader university has social programs for international students, so you'll have an instant network. Rice is in a very safe part of town. 

Hope this helps!

Mar 10, 22 1:47 am  · 
 · 
whydw

Thank you so much! Would you mind describing a bit more about the studios that you’ve taken? What kind of topics are they about? Are there any visiting professors? I also would like to know how much freedom there is in selecting elective courses? Can students take courses from other departments?

Mar 10, 22 5:46 pm  · 
1  · 
hiall

Rice's arch program also interests me, they seem to produce a very clean aesthetic design.

Mar 11, 22 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
placemaker

Sure! The first semester studio typically has several smaller projects to acclimate new architecture students before the final design project which is usually a small public program. The second semester studio devotes a bit more time to the final design project, which is usually mixed-use. Both of those are taught by very established faculty and the sequence is pretty set, so your experience is likely to be the same. After that, there's been more variation recently in terms of who teaches and what the programs are. In your second year, you're also joined by the Option 2 students (advanced placement) so your cohort doubles in size, and you'll be split into two studio sections. There are visiting professors, but they primarily

Mar 14, 22 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
placemaker

Shoot, hit enter too soon. The visiting professors primarily teach option studios from what I've seen. Visiting faculty and Wortham fellows also teach seminars, so there's opportunities for fresh content there. You have total freedom in choosing electives. You take at least one every semester, and many people double up at least a few semesters. You can take classes throughout the university but it typically requires an email to the professor. The only real challenge with non-architecture classes is that they can be hard to fit into your schedule since studio takes up so much time. Usually you'll get an email introduction to some current students to ask additional questions, but feel free to drop other Qs here as they come up too :)

Mar 14, 22 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: