Archinect
anchor

Architectural Studies - Seeking Academic Advice

leelatran

I'm finishing up my Sophomore year at the Community College of Denver and will be obtaining my Associates of Applied Science in Architectural Studies this upcoming semester. I'm planning to transfer to the University of Colorado Denver. However the thing that I need advice on is whether to continue my education and get a Bachelor's degree from the UC Denver or the University of Toronto, Canada since I have a dual citizenship. Any thoughts/advice would help a lot.

Thanks!

Mar 2, 22 5:56 pm
Non Sequitur

uofT’s undergrad degree in architectural studies, or whatever they call it, is bottom of the barrel. Definitively  not worth looking at unless you can get in for free… and are a stellar student. 

Mar 2, 22 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

If your degree isn't from a program accredited by NCARB then it's worthless in the US.  

Accredited Degree:

3,500 or so hours of AXP (internship hours you need to complete before taking your exams)

Have reciprocity in every other state.  This means you don't have to do more AXP or take more testing.  For states that have unique wealthier /  natural disasters you'll need to take an additional exam dealing with things like earthquakes and hurricanes.

Non Accredited Degrees:

About half of the states in the US won't allow you become an architect unless you have a degree from an accredited program.  

The states that allow it offer no reciprocity and require around 20,000 hours of AXP. Also for any additional states you want to be licensed in you need to redo you AXP hours.  The exact numbers and process vary state by state.  

Mar 2, 22 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

You should be looking for a B.Arch accredited by either NAAB or CACB, or a non-accredited BA/BS followed by and accredited M.Arch. How much credit you'll get for your AAS will vary from school to school - personally, I would be looking for the schools that will give you the most credit for the work you've already done.

Mar 3, 22 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Suggest that where you attend will depend on where you wish to practice in the long-term - U.S. or Canada.  As stated by previous comments, you will want to eventually obtain a degree accredited by either NAAB or CACB which is the Master of Architecture.

Best.

Mar 8, 22 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: