Archinect
anchor

BSD vs B.ARCH

alexisjeffri

I am now a junior at Arizona State University, I transferred from community college in the fall. I live in Arizona and well ASU was an affordable option for me, and It's been my dream to become an architect for years now so ASU was my only route I could take. I plan on getting my M.ARCH but I really don't want to do it at ASU since the undergrad program is honestly not very good. I never really had an understanding of a BSD vs Bachelors of architecture but now I'm starting to realize the BSD ASU gives for the architecture program may really impact my future for jobs in other states and going to graduate programs at other university's. If I wanted to stay at ASU for the M.ARCH and work in Arizona I don't think it would be a problem since you don't need to have a license to work here, but I don't want to stay here. Does anyone know if I can actually get a job in other states with only a BSD or know if I will have to do a 3 year graduate program at other university's instead of 2 year since I don't have a bachelors of architecture? Thank you!

Mar 1, 22 3:45 pm
atelier nobody

In most States, you'll need either a B.Arch or M.Arch if you intend to pursue licensure as an architect. A license is not required to work in the field in any State as long as you're working under a licensed architect (or on single-family residential or other small "exempt" projects), but is necessary if you ever want to go out on your own and good for career advancement in most firms even if you never stamp drawings. What school you get the degree from really doesn't matter that much as long as it's accredited, unless it's either a very high prestige or very low reputation school; and what state you get the degree in doesn't matter at all. I'll let others chime in on whether ASU falls in the "very low reputation" category as you seem to think it does - I have personally never heard anything about it, good or bad.

An unaccredited architecture-related bachelors will make an M.Arch program shorter than if your BA/BS were in an unrelated major and might make getting into an M.Arch program easier. Again, it shouldn't matter what school it's from unless it's a really good or really bad one.

As far as job prospects if you don't pursue the M.Arch, an unaccredited bachelors probably isn't worth any more than an associates degree - it'll basically get you a job as a drafter. 

Mar 1, 22 9:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: