Archinect
anchor

MLA decision - Penn, Temple, or UMichigan

ecodesignmla

Hi. New here. I got into the MLA programs at Penn, Temple, and U-Michigan recently. I am torn and would like some advice from people who have attended any of these schools. I chose to apply to these three schools for a reason--I want to study landscape architecture that is firmly rooted in the science of ecological design and/or restoration ecology, which the three programs claim they are in their own ways. I'm very grateful that I got into all three and have the fortunate problem of having good options to choose from.

With that said though, I'm having a hard time making a decision because I can't get a good read on how well each school will meet my learning objectives. 

I'm leaning towards Temple because its MLA program is specifically focused on ecological landscape restoration, super affordable, the faculty seem very supportive, and the program emphasizes practical, hands-on experience given its focus on landscape restoration work. But the flip/down side of the heavy emphasis on practical experience (and this is my big concern) is that the program feels a little ho-hum and may not be particularly innovating the field of landscape architecture. This is just my read. I'm happy to stand corrected. I very much want to be in a learning environment that is rigorous and reshaping the field of landscape architecture to be responsive to the future and in the process challenging me intellectually as a student.

Penn is very attractive because it has that rigorous learning environment I want. They seem to be obsessed with pushing the boundaries of design and theory. They have produced many influential LA's who are leaders redefining the field. I feel like I would intellectually thrive there. But my main concerns are many: Penn is super expensive and I don't think I could ever justify all the debt I will incur; the program exudes a certain level of elitism; and despite its historical leadership on ecological design, the kind of landscape architecture that it teaches these days is not firmly rooted in the science of ecology anymore given its obsession with the creative side of design. Again, this is just my read and I'd be happy to stand corrected. 

Michigan's MLA program is in the university's School for Environment and Sustainability, so it is naturally firmly rooted in the ecological sciences. Michigan feels like the happy medium between Temple's strong ecological grounding, supportive faculty, and hands-on emphasis and Penn's rigorous and innovative education. I don't think Michigan out-innovates Penn but it may be innovative enough for me needs. My concern with Michigan is that it is also super expensive for an out-of-stater like me, being only slightly cheaper than Penn. This makes me think that for the same amount of money, I might as well go to a much more prestigious school. It's also much farther from me (I live in NJ) than Penn and Temple are, which adds to the cost.

Feb 27, 22 12:23 pm
the.arch.anon
Cheers on getting into all three! I was also accepted to Penn’s MLA program. (I didn’t apply to Temple or U Michigan’s programs) Since I have not heard back from Penn’s financial aid dept. on the amount of aid I’m receiving (&it sounds like you haven’t either) it’s hard to know what outrageous number you’re really having to justify. I do agree the prestige that comes from a school Penn is significant and i don’t think the more creative direction the school could be going in is necessarily bad. I think that the emphasis on research at the school grounds it in reality.

All schools sound like they would be great opportunities regardless, and wish you the best in making your decision!
Feb 27, 22 11:22 pm  · 
1  · 
anhluu

Congrats to you both. I also got the email from Penn, now waiting for the aid package. Happy to hear more about the experience here!!

Feb 28, 22 9:38 pm  · 
1  · 

I suggest going to Temple. If the financial aid is good and you will not graduate with a ton of debt that will allow you to be innovative with your career. So even if the program itself is not innovative enough for you, you can do your own research while in school and graduate without debt or with low debt that will allow you to be innovative on your own. Also Temple is awesome and gritty while Penn is super snotty.

Feb 28, 22 10:07 pm  · 
1  · 
ecodesignmla

That's a very good point. Thanks.

Mar 1, 22 7:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: