Archinect
anchor

Ryerson Architecture Admission

banana22

I'm a 105 applicant, I've completed 2 years in a bachelor of science at Waterloo. I applied to Ryerson's arch program in January and sent my portfolio in. They ask for a C+ avg in post-secondary education.. which I have. I've also contacted them and they say that my gpa is considered competitive since it comes from uw. I have a hs average of 89.8%  (including all the courses they require to be admitted (e.g. advanced functions, physics). However, I did complete my physics hs credit at an adult school here in Ontario, and the admissions person said that it would not pose a competitive disadvantage. I'd like to say I have a pretty solid portfolio, I have a range of different media eg. traditional cross-stitch embroidery, oil on canvas, and ink & pencil on paper (to name a few). What are my chances of getting in? On the Ryerson applicant portal page, my application appears under the title "under review" (they send out replies beginning late march and up until June?) 

Feb 21, 22 12:55 pm
Non Sequitur

It's still too early for general admission results so probably not an issue at this time but Ryerson  does not have a particular high-bar for admissions (far better than say UofT's bachelor but not as stringent as Loo) so you should have a decent chance.  Usually university grades supersede your HS stuff.

What you should be asking yourself is why make the jump to a fresh bachelor degree when you already done 50% of another?.  Would it not be more efficient and cheaper to complete your existing bachelor and apply for a M.Arch afterwards?  You'll need a M.arch anyways, so why start over and spend another 2 years in undergrad?

Feb 22, 22 8:58 am  · 
1  · 
banana22

My first year in this science bachelor went bad; I realized I didn't enjoy science (material wise - hardcore chemistry & biology) and if I did continue.. I would do worse. I stuck with it for the 2nd year to fix my gpa. Pursuing architecture was always the dream but I backed out of it when I didn't take physics in high school, but thats no longer an issue. Honestly, Im hoping the university grade wouldn't supersede my HS grades bc it is just barely the minimum. The admissions person mentioned that grades (both uni and hs) are only 50% of the admission process and portfolio is the other half. 

Feb 22, 22 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

protip: Grades serve as the first gatekeeper. 

Meet the minimum? Then you go through to the next round although the threshold for review might be higher than C+ if the applicant pool's average grades are strong. 

It's 100% subjective after that and grades will only come back into the discussion if there is a tie between applicants or an argument between the review committee members.  I interviewed many applicants to Loo's arch undergrad back in the day and grades were only passively looked at.  Portfolio is king.  always has been, always will be.

Feb 22, 22 12:20 pm  · 
1  · 
banana22

Thanks for the info

Feb 22, 22 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
hanefahmed

I'm a 101 applicant to Ryerson university's architecture science program. I'm currently finishing my last year of highschool and I was wondering what the general accepting rate for the program is for someone in my position. At the moment I had made a pretty descent portfolio with a variety of art pieces the only thing is that for one of my pieces it was done on a 3d software. Is that allowed? Overall the art pieces were pretty good but the formatting of the portfolio and the aesthetic appeal of the file wasn't that great. My average at the moment is an 84% including all the prerequisites. I was just wondering if I have a good chance of getting accepted because I really want to make this program being that I cant imagine myself enjoying studying anything else.

Mar 11, 23 9:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: