Archinect
anchor

Master of Architecture Portfolio Review - Canadian University

zeushimself

Hey guys, I am applying to just one Master of Architecture program and that is at the University of Calgary. Unfortunately, I was unable to put as much time into the folio this year as I would have liked but none the less, I would appreciate if some people could review it briefly and provide some comments! Thanks so much in advance!!!

https://issuu.com/tannerulrich...

Jan 16, 22 3:33 am
Hellotoallwithsmile

it looks good. 

Jan 16, 22 4:45 am  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Please use this link to download portfolio:

https://issuu.com/tannerulrich...

Jan 16, 22 6:09 am  · 
 · 
simon1024

Canadian M.Arch applicant here (not applied UofCalgary). I like your graphic sense in the portfolio, great sketches. For each project, I feel it's missing a detailed explanation of the design. You showed us the floor plans, sections and renderings, how about any interesting or thoughtful design elements?  

From your history, I saw you applied a few schools in the past 2 years, no luck in any?

I had a bachelor from UofManitoba, honestly I don't know why didn't they accept you?

Jan 16, 22 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Hi Simon, thanks for the comments. The portfolio I submitted to U of Manitoba wasnt as polished as this one. I was waitlisted but still not accepted in the end unfortunately. Wasn’t sure how wordy to make it but tried to expalin the best I could in a short paragraph. As for the interesting design elements, they would be:

Treehouse - push, pull, rotate classroom / specialized horticulture program

Keys on the Quay - Outdoor performance space

Voila - Crossbrace feature

There’s still much I would like to include but its tough to get it all done sometimes!

Thanks again.

Jan 16, 22 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey Zeus, what happened to last year's application?

I think the content is fine but the curation needs work.  A folio is not just a collection of everything you've ever done.  You need to pick and choose what gets priority and I don't see consistent hierarchy between projects.  For example, those elevations in the treehouse project are too small compared to the rendering.  Renderings are easy-peasy, nice elevations are not.  I'd also do full bleed on those site sketches.  

Jan 17, 22 8:03 am  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Hey! I appreciate you taking a look thru and hopefully you think it's an improvement over last year. I think what you've said is the best I could have hoped for so in that regard, I'm content. It was kind of slapped together with a few hours remaining so it could definitely use some reorganizing in terms of hierarchy. For the site sketches, are you referring to the Europe ones or something else? I'll take a look at them in full bleed to see what it looks like.

As for last year - I was wait-listed at the University of Manitoba but didn't end up being accepted in the end, which is okay because I wasn't really ready anyways. I've applied and got accepted to the syllabus this year as well so if I don't get into University of Calgary, then that will most likely be the route I take. Honestly, it seems like it would be pretty good because of where I'm working right now. I'm actually enjoying it and get to do some pretty fun work. The only problem is the huge time commitment and no real credential should you stop half way thru...  Not to mention having to study while working full time for that long of a period is probably draining.

Jan 17, 22 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Europe ones. They are too small. I'd much rather look at 3 or 4 full page hand sketches than a folio filled with renderings. I'm constantly on the fence for syllabus. It has advantages and it has serious downfalls... and I'm also advising one syllabus student in my office. I think you have a good understanding of what those downfalls are. Most syllabus students don't.

Jan 17, 22 10:17 am  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

Zeushimself...... I also graduated from Fanshawe College and I am currently halfway through the syllabus program if you have any questions

Jan 17, 22 11:59 am  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Hey there, I guess it would just be how do you find completing the modules while working full time? Also, were you given much credit towards the academic portion of the course? I've also completed a BSc (Hons) in Architecture degree so I had many credits that I've tried to get advanced standing with but I think I read they only give a certain percentage.

Jan 17, 22 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

I was given a few credits (12 credits in total, 4 classes) and now you can challenge the design studios as well. I work pretty hard after work hours on my classes but its defiantly manageable. You can do most of it at your own pace but the design studios are only offered twice a year, spring and fall. The academic classes are all through Athabasca University and they are pretty good at distance learning and they give you 6 months to complete a class

Jan 17, 22 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Thanks for the info.

Jan 17, 22 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
nonneutral

There's too much emphasis on renderings and not enough on sketches/concept/process compared to what academic programs typically look for. That probably won't be as much of an issue with the school you're applying to as it would be with some other programs.

Jan 17, 22 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: