Archinect
anchor

Architecture + Management??

FutureArch

If I wanted to transition into a more managerial role within an architecture firm, what would be the next best step in terms of education? Not necessarily another degree, maybe just a short course series or something similar? I am interested in management in terms of like a COO. 

My background is in Civil/Structural Engineering and my graduate degree is in Architecture, but I am considering moving into Real Estate Development or Construction Management or plain Business Administration (though I don't know which one would be a better option).

Dec 23, 21 7:48 pm
Non Sequitur

Op is in the 1st year of their M.arch and is already looking at management?  Oh boy.... gotta learn how to crawl before jumping into a 100m gold medal dash.

Dec 24, 21 2:47 pm  · 
1  · 
quizzical

I have both an B. Arch and an MBA … I took my license 3 years after my B. Arch. I took my MBA three years later.

Professionally, I practiced architecture, worked in real estate development, operated my own management consulting firm working primarily with design firms, and finished my career as the managing principal of a mid-sized design firm.

The MBA provides excellent preparation for a career like this and opens doors (and provides a level of confidence) that lesser credentials would not.

Dec 24, 21 3:02 pm  · 
5  · 
bowling_ball

Architects are terrible business people who typically refuse to acknowledge it. It boggles my mind. Our industry isn't special, but good luck convincing a principal of 99.99999% of small and medium firms (and there's a reason they don't ever make the jump to large firm status - it's not for lack of design abilities)

Dec 24, 21 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Might help to sharpen what you want to be first long term.  Think that would inform your next step.

Guessing to be COO or some kind of upper manager you really need have hit a sr level of architectural responsibility so doing other stuff doesnt make sense yet.   Need a lot more arch experience first.  Not something academics can teach you.

If you are interested in RE development, just go for it and start out as a junior PM.  Take some finance classes.

Dec 25, 21 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
JAK-90825
I worked as a PA for a while and then regretfully jumped to a PM position. Very different role in my experience. Far less to do with putting buildings together than it is as steering the ship and keeping all of the architecture team, engineers, client, client consultants, AHJ, and GC moving smoothly. Much more administrative and about people skills. Emails come in tidal waves and keeping head above water is hard enough on an easy day! When shit hits the fan you get to answer!
Dec 28, 21 4:29 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: