Archinect
anchor

Cartoon Sets?

How many here use cartoon sets in their practice?

For those of you who do use cartoon sets how do you like to do them? What types of media / programs to do you like to do them in?

I personally have found them to be a bit cumbersome if I go beyond a rough outline of the drawing sheets expected to be in a project.  A coworker of mine is the opposite.  He will do detailed cartoon sets with blocked out areas for various drawings, details, ect.  

Dec 21, 21 12:15 pm
archanonymous

I tend to do them iteratively.

• Start with a sheet list and set up them up in Revit with standard titleblock, first pass at sheet numbering and naming. Sometimes I'll drop a rough plan or something onto the sheet so I can make notes about view scale and positioning.
  • PDF them, and print so there are maybe 6 (3 x 2) on an 8.5 x 11, then go through with a pen and diagram where the plan goes, key plan, whatever. 
  • Make notes about missing sheets or views, add those in. 
  • If a sheet requires a lot of work, I might print it to-fit on an 8.5 x 11 and take a pen to it to mark up how drawings are organized. This tends to be more for complex geometry or curtain wall details, entries, stuff like that where you are showing interrelated views of something complicated. 
  • Anything beyond this falls into the realm of redlines.
Dec 21, 21 12:30 pm  · 
3  · 

That's how I tend to do things as well.

Dec 21, 21 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

I do cartoon sets in the office, but they're loose, and start near the beginning of DD.

1. I usually print 8.5x11 with a blank titleblock (so it fits at a quarter-size of the sheet), then just diagram my sheet list, and what I'll expect to need.
  2. I jump back and forth between my hand sketches and the Revit plans to see how well my drawings will probably fit.
  3. I include generic (read: basically blank) sheets in this cartoon set for standard detail sheets and consultant sheets.

I find cartooning a good way to make sure I have a rough schedule for the drawings I need produced through permit so I can schedule out my team's billable hours and stay coordinated with client timelines after DD and towards permitting/CA.

Dec 21, 21 12:59 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

I've done them, but I generally don't find them any more useful than just a written list of sheets with a few lines per sheet stating what goes on it.

Dec 21, 21 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I do them in Revit. Cut the view, put it on a sheet, detail it later. 

Dec 21, 21 10:46 pm  · 
2  · 

I've been doing that a lot more lately. I rather like it.

Dec 22, 21 10:33 am  · 
 · 

This is how we’ve set it up.

Dec 22, 21 10:52 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I'll usually do a hybrid between this and a traditional "cartoon" set. I'll use Revit to wireframe a sheet set, then print it to PDF and paint it red with notes. For some reason I can never proofread within Revit. Only after I PDF it does the larger narrative come into focus.

Dec 22, 21 4:05 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

That's wise, tduds. Within Revit the organization of the views provides a level of information that won't be in the set, so looking at the pdf is a great way to read it with fresh eyes.

Dec 23, 21 9:52 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

Self-redlining is the best, because you can be sloppy and vague and it's not a problem because you're just making reminders for yourself. You can make a giant red rectangle and just label it "FIX" and move on.

Dec 23, 21 12:18 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

I've never been able to wrap my head around cartoon sets in cad or hand drawn sets. Literal cartoons, maybe, but once you're drawing at scale with real stuff, it seems you would spend more time cartooning than would pay off in the long run. It's very possible that this mindset is due to me not working very long prior to the Revit shift in the late 2000s though.

Dec 24, 21 10:48 am  · 
1  · 
RJ87

I generally do one once i'm done with the first round of base files (sections, elevations, plans). I take over our standard sheets & detail sheets from a past project of a similar building type & print the whole thing out. I like them just because it lets me see what I have detail wise, what I need to add / substract, how many custom details I'm going to have to make and how to group things within the sets. It just gives me something to redline / pace myself with too. A lot of the initial cartoon set will just be big block letters that say "UPDATE", but the detail sheets I'll write in the detail numbers I need to add from our master library.

Dec 22, 21 4:26 pm  · 
2  · 
shellarchitect

I think these are great and have been pushing our staff to do this early in DD.  

Dec 23, 21 10:46 am  · 
1  · 

We do them starting in SD, which I think can be a bit early if the project isn't big enough.

Dec 23, 21 11:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: