Archinect
anchor

Working as an Interior Designer in the US as a foreigner?

Hello good people,

I am an architect in Turkey currently, but I work in the field of interior design mostly. By that, I mean; interior design, any production drawing in the project, 3D modeling and rendering, floor plans, material selection, preparing work schedule and costs, and also when required, managing the construction work on the site. Have been working on the sector for almost 5 years.

After knowing these, what do you think my chance of finding a job in the US? I constantly search on the websites, but I do not have any information about the incomes or the genereal state of the business. And of course, being a foreigner, I need visa sponsorship. Does that happen often, is it worth trying to get a job in the US?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 13, 21 11:18 am
Meatball2000

The most challenging part is the visa, I know most foreigners that work in the US came here with a student visa which allows them to work after school for 1 or 3 years depending on the program. Fewer employees will get you a work visa or an O1 (artist) visa, before you arrived in the US. but I've heard cases of success of experienced designers who came to the US with O1 before moving here, it's not impossible. 

State or City wise, bigger cities have more foreigners, especially in city like NYC.

For salary, you can try AIA (more for architects, but in NYC, a lot of architecture folks do interior works, and from the typical tasks you shared, seems like you are not far from what we do). or you can try glassdoor.

Speaking from personal experience, figuring out the visa situation is very stressful, if you are open to other countries, maybe you can look into the EU or Canada, some places might have easier working visa opportunities.

May 2, 22 10:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: