Archinect
anchor

Does size matter?

maithilili

Lol I'm sorry for the misleading title XD (It is intentional). But I'm applying for Universities. The universities have stated the portfolio size requirements and while doing so they explicitly mention no larger than 8.5" X 11", so that makes me wonder, would an 8.5" X 8.5" be allowed while applying?

Nov 20, 21 10:02 pm
Non Sequitur

sure, why not?

It's the content and what you do with it that matters, not its size (gigiti)

Nov 20, 21 10:55 pm  · 
2  · 
maithilili

I mean yes that is what I thought, but I want to play safe too!

Nov 21, 21 7:35 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Just ask beforehand what they like and enjoy receiving...might prevent lots of unnecessary awkwardness or rejection.

Nov 21, 21 2:21 pm  · 
1  · 
maithilili

You're right! Thanks.

Nov 21, 21 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

That's what she said...

Nov 22, 21 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
maithilili

Haha!

Nov 25, 21 6:33 am  · 
 · 
maithilili

I was really looking forward to this xD

Nov 25, 21 6:34 am  · 
 · 

Send them a portfolio with 30x42 sheets

Nov 21, 21 9:01 pm  · 
2  · 
x-jla

I don’t entertain portfolios that fit on my desk.  

Nov 22, 21 4:17 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

but how big is your desk?

Nov 22, 21 5:04 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

and what kind of entertainment do you have in mind?

Nov 23, 21 4:38 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

I strongly encourage all my students and younger professionals I mentor to use 8.5 x 11 (US) or A3 (Rest of the world) as their portfolio size. It is the most flexible, widely used, prints well, displays well, and the size and format really doesn't matter much compared to the work inside it.

Nov 22, 21 5:09 pm  · 
1  · 
maithilili

But does that mean it needs to be portrait and portrait only?

Nov 25, 21 6:31 am  · 
 · 
randomised

pro-tip: if you open the portfolio and have two portrait pages next to each other, you automatically get landscape proportions

Nov 25, 21 6:44 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Consider that at least some of the people reviewing your portfolio will print a hard copy and that 3" x 8.5" of extra white space will look wonky - even if a given sheet is going to have that much white space, better for you to lay out the sheet so that you decide the best placement of the image(s) and where the white space will be, instead of letting someone's printer settings decide for you.

Nov 22, 21 7:02 pm  · 
5  · 
proto

Print a hard copy?!?

Yeah, no…

Nov 24, 21 10:46 am  · 
2  · 
maithilili

Lol

Nov 25, 21 6:32 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

Consider too that the portfolio might be projected onto a screen for initial review by committee at some schools.

Nov 25, 21 11:44 am  · 
1  · 
maithilili

Yes!

Nov 28, 21 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: