Archinect
anchor

Is UofT's MLA or M.Arch more competitive to get into?

KatherineP

I'm in the process of applying to UofT's MLA program (and UofG's) but also have been considering their M.Arch program. However, my thought is that it would be more competitive to get into vs MLA so I'm worried about wasting my time when I can just perfect my portfolio for the MLA program instead of working on another application etc? Anyone know their acceptance rate? 

Also if anyone has attended UofT's MLA program, how do you like it and did having a design/arch background help? I'm a little worried about difficulty since I don't come from a traditional undergrad arch program but have a bachelor of design from a more "artsy" university.   

Thank you for any help. I'm also curious if anyone else is applying to either ie Sep 2022 admission?

Nov 20, 21 1:43 pm
Non Sequitur

assuming these are Toronto and Guelph.  Guelph has a more renowned landscape program but Toronto is Toronto, so it gets all the attention even though it’s a mediocre architecture school.  

Landscape and architecture can be pretty different disciplines, so pick the option that you think will give you options post grad. It helps to know what a typical work day is too. 

Nov 20, 21 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
KatherineP

I heard some great things about UoG's MLA program and it's the oldest I believe so it's well regarded as you said. I was initially leaning towards their program at first but I did like that UofT's MLA does lean into urban planning which I like since they seem to have courses that mix with other disciplines in the faculty unlike UofG. I would have loved to apply to UBC and other programs that are better but unfortunately I'm kind of bound by what university is closest to me as I live within the GTA area and I'm unable to leave my parents in this time.

I keep seeing many say UofT is mediocre for architecture but I thought that was for their undergrad program, is there a reason for this being said about their graduate programs as well? I heard that they seem to prefer their own undergrad students for the M.Arch but I'm unsure about the MLA program when it comes to that.

Thank you for help! 

Nov 20, 21 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

UofT has a average to mediocre M.Arch. It’s mostly attended by oriole out of convenience simply because it’s the closest. It’s undergrad “degree” is abysmal.

Nov 20, 21 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

*choice. Silly auto-fill phone keyboard.

Nov 20, 21 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
KatherineP

I totally agree about its undergrad, I know they've been trying to change its reputation but it's not happening fast enough clearly. I heard some decent things about their M.Arch/MLA but some of you here are making me question it. At this point I feel like it's what you make of your time in these programs anyways. Name/reputation can only get you so far if your work is mediocre. I have an interesting background since I come from a technical college program and then furthered my education at university so I'm hoping if I get accepted into either graduate program, I can just use it as a stepping stone into the career I want. 

Nov 20, 21 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: