Archinect
anchor

Can't land an internship... how should I further my career in architecture in the meantime?

builditforward

What other options are there that would appeal to employers?

Nov 17, 21 2:19 pm
Non Sequitur

Why are you not landing jobs?  Everyone is crazy busy.

There is always the dumb option of slaving away for free in many name-brand offices.  Apparently that's a respectable thing.

Nov 17, 21 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Tougher still to slave away for free at those name brand offices - waaaay too many people waiting in line to do the same. Plus, it helps to know someone who's already slaving away inside.

Nov 18, 21 9:03 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Don't do it! Get paid.

Nov 18, 21 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

An unfortunate consequence of being so busy is that firm's are nervous to hire on interns/new grads.  It might seem counterintuitive, but offices recognize the commitment required to properly train and mentor new staff.  Asking your senior members to mentor while also juggling several projects is a struggle.  

That said, there are good firms out there that are committed to advancing the next cycle of designers and architects.  Stay focused on the offices that align with your goals and keep trying.  Good luck.

Nov 18, 21 9:59 am  · 
2  · 

Agree with this 100% - as bad as it sounds, most of us are so busy that we don't have time to properly train those with 0-2 years experience. Couple that with some firms being hybrid/WFH still and it isn't a great time to be entry level in the profession. 5+ years experience though? That's another story.

Nov 18, 21 10:22 am  · 
3  · 
RJ87

I'd imagine this is the exact reason. New grads are inefficient in the short term. We don't hire them at all for CD's usually, but especially not when we're busy. It's easier to let someone else pay for them to learn about construction.

Nov 18, 21 11:16 am  · 
 · 

Get a job in construction.

Nov 18, 21 10:30 am  · 
2  · 

You'll learn a little bit. I'd suggest working in several different fields. Concrete, steel, and framing.

Nov 18, 21 11:45 am  · 
 · 
randomised

OP do you actually apply to openings? If so, maybe your resume or portfolio are just not up to par, that can also be...

Or people are just too busy to hire...writing and posting an opening, receiving tons of applications that have to be sifted through, setting up interviews, having the actual interviews, making decisions, have another round of talks for details and still you are unsure whether it will work out for all involved...and you as an employer will need to invest time, staff and resources to properly train and supervise the new hire. Sometimes there's just no time for any of that. 

Nov 19, 21 4:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: