Archinect
anchor

Thinking of moving back to Singapore, how bad is the work life balance?

Samantha_A

I'm a Singaporean who came to the US for college and stayed to gain experience. I've been missing Singapore, especially with the pandemic, and have been thinking about returning. Logistically, I'm a little worried. I've heard the work-life balance can be really bad. People working in Singapore now, is it possible to find a firm who respects the 40h a week or is it as bad as the internet says? 

Additionally, how do I measure up to a local candidate and what would be a salary range? I have 2 years of experience, am a registered architect in the US and will likely get LEED accredited by the time I return. I'm also very comfortable in Revit. I've seen the salary poll here but there's not a lot of info on the state of the industry since the pandemic. 

Thanks!

Nov 15, 21 11:07 am
sameolddoctor

Try to find a US or UK office with a branch in Singapore, those can be a bit better than Singaporean architects offices

Nov 15, 21 2:33 pm  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Seconded. With your American experience, working at Safdie, SOM, or KPF's Singapore office (If they are still around) makes a lot more sense than working at the local giants. I'd say only WOHA or maaaaaybe SCDA are really world class as far as design is concerned - the local bigwigs like DP, 61, RSP & friends at best serve as AOR to foreign firms without a local presence when it comes to prestigious work.

No point competing with NUS and SUTD grads who have a leg up on you when it comes to alumni connections, building code familiarity, and other advantages from studying and working in the heartland. Your advantage is international/American experience - sell yourself that way.

Nov 15, 21 5:35 pm  · 
2  · 
Samantha_A

Thanks, that's a good tip. 

How are these firms w.r.t. salary and work life balance? From what I can tell I'll take a big hit in terms of money and work hours and I just want to be certain I can support myself logistically (and bear the extra stress from the insane Singapore hours) before I take the leap over something as silly as homesickness

Nov 16, 21 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Not sure what the salary scales are in Singapore, but pretty sure they wont compare directly to salaries in the US which tend to be a bit higher than everywhere else. That said, there are many hidden costs of living in the US that you will not have in Singapore - like health insurance, car insurance, car payments etc (depending on where you live in the US). 

Also, that homesickness may not be as silly as you think - there is a lot to be said for a strong support system that will help you in more ways than one in your personal and professional life...

Nov 16, 21 2:04 pm  · 
1  · 
Samantha_A

That's a good point about the hidden costs here in the US. Thanks, that give me a little more food for thought!

Yeah, I do miss the support system but I do want to make sure I'm self-sufficient if I go home. I know it's the norm for people my age to live at home due to living costs back home but I don't want to burden my parents haha. 

Nov 17, 21 12:20 am  · 
 · 
linnie

Please do NOT work in WOHA. Work life balance is impossible, I've worked until 7am the next day, and expected to continue on into the next working day. Came to work on a sunday until 5am monday too.
The directors are demeaning, insults you to the point that you doubt and question your abilities.

I quote "You are paid to do what you do, if you continue to not produce (bear in mind i am a fresh grad one month into the office), sorry to hear that, but architecture might not be the right career for you, you can just not appear to the office tomorrow, and you will be kicked out of the team".

It is just crazy and terrible. They do not care about you.

Mar 28, 22 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Wow, is it because the principals are big shots now? Sounds terrible.

Mar 28, 22 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: