Archinect
anchor

Those who started their own business

sarasen

A guy i am dating (mid to senior level) wants to start his own architecture firm. He is off work and wants to start. Anyone in a similar position right now, is this a good idea at this time, how is industry doing? I am not in the field. 

Nov 12, 21 10:05 pm
reallynotmyname

Does your guy have a) a minimum of two legit clients with projects and funding ready to go?  and b) enough cash to live off of and pay the firm's expenses for 3-6 months while you do the work and wait to get paid?

Nov 13, 21 11:02 am  · 
 · 
proto

He is off work — seems like no down side as long as he has funds to survive until a billable project starts up…

Nov 13, 21 11:43 am  · 
 · 
sarasen

no client yet, but enough money to saved for a year

Nov 13, 21 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
sarasen

my question is really, is it a good time in terms of economy to do this? Like is there tons of work out there?

Nov 13, 21 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Yes, demand for architectural work in the USA seems pretty good right now.

Nov 13, 21 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

There’s a lot of work to be had right now … but, the bigger question might be “does your boyfriend have the relationships, experience and skill necessary to convert that potential into signed, paying contracts?”

Nov 13, 21 8:50 pm  · 
4  · 
quizzical

Also, architecture is inherently cyclical … it’s just a matter of time before there’s a recession in our profession. Recommend you make sure your boyfriend understands that and prepares for that.

Nov 13, 21 9:20 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

my office is a 2 person place (both registered architects) 

we are booked out months at the moment from starting new projects

i'm not going to pretend that anyone can just do that, but there certainly seems to be no slowdown yet

Nov 13, 21 7:13 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

he's just trying to impress you...that's what anyone says that's "off work" ;-)

Nov 14, 21 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

sorry, what's off work mean?

Nov 15, 21 9:50 am  · 
 · 
randomised

self-employed with nothing to do...

Nov 15, 21 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

everyone I know is drowning in work! 

Nov 15, 21 8:49 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

booked solid…if not for the supply issues that would be great.  Jumping between projects because of material delays is super inefficient and costly for me.  My crews are at 1/2 normal speed, which means that my labor costs are 2x as high.  On top of that, we have to look forward to trucking strikes, or sick outs in the new year due to mandates if the courts lift their stay order.  Rumors have it that National strikes are being planned.  I’ve been adapting by encouraging use of locally sourced materials which are more readily available.  One the brights side, it’s a way to design with the things I’ve been wanting to design with…clients may not care about sustainability, but they sure do care about 6 month delays…

Nov 16, 21 12:43 pm  · 
1  · 
smaarch

Such a strange question. 
Either you support each other or you don't.
I was here 30 years ago and we parted ways - thank God

Mar 18, 23 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: