Archinect
anchor

Switching into Architecture late in the game..

Yasminesamadi

Hi Archinect! I think I have come to the right place to ask a few questions... I am in my third year of college at Northeastern pursuing a Health Science degree. I realized late in the game that I have no interest in the field post college. I have always had a hidden interest in architecture.. and I have a feeling I could be successful in it. 

To switch into the Arch program... it would require FIVE more years of college.. and im already in my third. ouch. Do I make the switch, or just graduate with health science and then get my masters in Arch? Could I even be a candidate if I wait till masters... 

All advice will be much appreciated xx 

Nov 2, 21 2:12 pm
Non Sequitur

It depends.

5year B.Arch vs finish current + 3y M.Arch is sorta the same timewise not factoring in application cycles and whatnot.  But before getting ahead of yourself, why architecture?  What do you know about architecture education and architecture practice? Do you have any creative material to start building an application portfolio?

It's more than a 5y commitment if you include the time spent slogging it through internships and junior roles so take the time to research before making significant decision$.

Nov 2, 21 2:20 pm  · 
2  · 
whistler

Whew! .... I thought it was Charlie Munger signing on!

Nov 2, 21 2:31 pm  · 
5  · 
atelier nobody

Finish your current degree and then get an MArch. One of the best architects I ever worked with had both an MArch and MPH, and was very successfully specialized in healthcare architecture.

Even if you don't want to specialize in healthcare architecture, finishing your current degree and getting the MArch is probably your path of least resistance into the profession.

Nov 2, 21 3:30 pm  · 
4  · 
Yasminesamadi

Can I get into a respected Masters program just with a minor in arch?

Nov 3, 21 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Maybe. Depends on many variables.

Nov 3, 21 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

Respected is a subjective term. But I have a friend who had a health degree (not sure what it actually was) with a minor in sustainability, architectural studies, or something like that. She went to Notre Dame for her masters.

Edit: Wasn't trying to say ND isn't respected btw. Was just saying that respected means different things to different people. Lot of Ivy League or bust folks walking around in architecture.

Nov 3, 21 4:22 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: