Archinect
anchor

Show your work: transitions between indoors and outdoors

Wood Guy

Porches, decks, windows, doors, courtyards--what's your favorite (or least favorite) connection between indoors and outdoors?

Oct 12, 21 1:28 pm
SneakyPete

While I understand experientially the desire for a fully open corner door or window condition, I've never found the sacrifices worth it.

Oct 12, 21 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Yeah it's a challenge I haven't tackled yet, and hope to someday, just to do it. For what situations have you considered doing them?

Oct 12, 21 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Millionaire client's second or third vacation home. I wish that was snark.

Oct 12, 21 2:49 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I'm currently working on a million (loonies... but let's assume it's the same) 2nd home for our client's ex wife.  25' long sliding glass wall on 2nd floor overlooking the river required a 400mm deep steel beam due to the snow loads.  That's an expensive opening considering there is a large covered patio literally 3' away. 

Oct 12, 21 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

like this?

Oct 12, 21 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

couldn't post the image, took me longer than 3 seconds to look for them. Tons of steel in the corner, 9'x16' corner opening

Oct 12, 21 4:59 pm  · 
1  · 
gwharton

This is from a custom home project I did a bunch of years ago, where we had an indoor pool and hot tub area the owner wanted to be able to open up completely to the outside in parts or in whole depending on the weather. So we put in two sets of sliding/folding doors which recess into pockets allow the three spaces (pool, spa, patio) to be recombined in multiple ways from in to out. And used the same paving tile inside and outside with very minimal stainless track for the doors inset flush. Not cheap, but it turned out really well.

Oct 12, 21 3:29 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

What a detail, eh?

Oct 12, 21 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

does it screech like a wounded elephant every time you raise it?

Oct 12, 21 4:52 pm  · 
2  · 
RJ87

Not my work below, but I've always felt like the Scandinavian countries & the Japanese do the best job of transitioning. I've always loved when they eliminate (or at the very least heavily minimize) the perimeter frame around glass boundaries by slipping the pane past the plane it intersects.

We have to worry about people walking into glass too much in most spaces for it to be widespread, but I still love it.

Kubo Tsushima creates curved interior inside bathhouseSmall Architecture Workshop's charred-wood sauna floats on Swedish lake6 Modern Teahouses That Are Architectural Wonders - Artsy
Oct 12, 21 5:04 pm  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

Beautiful. I might have mentioned before the word I think I coined, Japandinavian, to cover the similarities in their approaches. I, and most of my clients, are fans. We also like traditional New England vernacular architecture, thus New Enjapandinavian style. (Mostly a joke, though it might have potential...)

Oct 13, 21 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

has a good ring to it, new enjapandinavian...

Oct 14, 21 8:18 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

saw this video the other day, it's pretty amazing how they manage privacy and openings, and the level of paranoia is high.....you'll see.

Oct 12, 21 6:09 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

soulless

Oct 12, 21 7:48 pm  · 
2  · 

Psychotic and disturbing spaces imo. I couldn't finish watching it.

Oct 12, 21 10:11 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

I can't imagine being comfortable here.

Oct 13, 21 12:22 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Main entry is the garage. Disgusting.

Oct 13, 21 12:23 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

nothing minimal about that price tag

Oct 14, 21 8:16 am  · 
 · 
SlammingMiruvor

For $10M they couldn't even put an edge on the cobblestone drive either.

Oct 14, 21 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Expected to see Hunter Biden in bed with one of his 'girlfriends' doing some drugs. Or maybe that was Hunter doing the presentation?

Oct 15, 21 1:29 pm  · 
SneakyPete

The politics thread is that way, conspiracy laden peabrain.

Oct 15, 21 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: