Archinect
anchor

Gap Year before M.Arch

maithilili

Hello all,

I recently graduated with Bachelor's in Architecture and exploring what I'd like to pursue Masters. So I tried working in a landscape architecture firm for about 2 months and I didn't really like the work (not the firm's work, the firm had really great projects). So I recently left the job and have now decided to work on my portfolio, consider learning new software, prepare for GRE and IELTS/TOEFL, etc. But, while going through all this, I somehow feel insecure that I might be at loss after deciding to leave my job. Is this decision really that bad? Because I'm 75% convinced that I did the right thing, but then self doubt creeps in...

Aug 23, 21 10:57 am
Non Sequitur

Ummmm, I guess it’s fine if you don’t need money. Besides that, no reason why you can’t do the studying and self improvement stuff while holding a full time job. Also important, 2 months is barely long enough to get a feel for a place.  I’d say you abandoned ship before it even set sail.

Aug 23, 21 12:05 pm  · 
1  · 
maithilili

I did feel the same, but realised that Landscape Architecture isn't my forte, because when I worked as an intern I did like the projects there, I got to design and plan a lot Whilst here I worked at the firm from 9 am- 7 pm regularly the salary I received wasn't really worth the effort put into it half of my salary was going into paying for Gas in the commute. Most of the work I got here was about designing pathways and then making options of those pathways, probably if I'd waited I could've gotten better things, but then again, if I wasn't excited about Landscape Architecture and still worked there, it'd have been the firm's loss is what I thought. I also feel that I'm "let's look at one thing at a time" kind of a person.

Aug 23, 21 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
maithilili

The firm I interned at was an Architecture and Interior firm.

Aug 23, 21 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
maithilili

I did feel the same, but realised that Landscape Architecture isn't my forte, because when I worked as an intern I did like the projects there, I got to design and plan a lot

Whilst here I worked at the firm from 9 am- 7 pm regularly the salary I received wasn't really worth the effort put into it half of my salary was going into paying for Gas in the commute.

Most of the work I got here was about designing pathways and then making options of those pathways, probably if I'd waited I could've gotten better things, but then again, if I wasn't excited about Landscape Architecture and still worked there, it'd have been the firm's loss is what I thought. 

I also feel that I'm "let's look at one thing at a time" kind of a person.

Aug 23, 21 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: