Archinect
anchor

Part I in the UK and Part II in the US but eventually working in London

kyrajohnston16

I have just completed my second year at the Bartlett (Bsc Architecture) and I am thinking far ahead about potentially studying in the US for Part II. I know I am potentially making life very difficult for myself but I am really interested in working in London in the future but I would love to be abroad for my Part II qualification. What are the requirements for a Masters degree in the US to be transferrable to a part II in the UK?

I know that the RIBA recognises Pratt Institute Master of Architecture Program as a RIBA Part 2 but are there any others?

I'm potentially looking at Columbia, UC Berkeley, but am open.

Thanks!!

Aug 9, 21 12:29 pm
t a z

I believe Pratt is the first US school to pursue RIBA validation (or however an approved program is designated) but as of recent news the school may have not yet formally completed the process.

Is this something that will catch on at other schools to entice international applicants (and faculty)?  Too early to say.

https://www.archpaper.com/2021...

Aug 9, 21 2:17 pm  · 
1  · 
kyrajohnston16

Super helpful article thank you! I hope many will catch on by the time I’m looking to apply.

Aug 11, 21 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Just to note: international riba validation is not recognized by ARB = have a look at what you need to do if your plan is to become a UK qualified Architect.  ARB is more important here but does not validate programmed outside the UK. You will have to pay ARB and sit the exam for Part 2. https://arb.org.uk/architect-i...

Also note there is a new bill working its way through parliament that will re-open the door to recognized other professional licenses by ARB - assuming reciprocity.  This is due to Brexit and the uk continuing to be a tiny island.  Also note this is not about recognizing foreign degrees its about if you past your licensing in the US (NCARB ARE) in the future this may open the door for UK license.  

Aug 10, 21 9:46 am  · 
1  · 
t a z

That's interesting. So what benefit does Int'l RIBA validation give a US school or its graduates? I get that RIBA is like AIA, and ARB is like NCARB & state boards.

Aug 10, 21 10:24 am  · 
1  · 
robhaw

@TED, this bill is a very good initiative which I am following closely. @Taz, I suppose that the benefit of RIBA validation would be to allow you to register for a Part 3 course, if you opt to return to the UK to pursue the licensure process there?

Aug 10, 21 10:46 am  · 
2  · 
t a z

Yeah, I wasn't certain what TED was saying. The AN article on the Pratt/RIBA press says Pratt Undergrad program (5 yr) is recomended for Part I and II validation and the Pratt Grad program (2-3 yrs) is recommened for Part II.

Aug 10, 21 10:54 am  · 
1  · 
TED

@taz - yes RIBA is somewhat like AIA and ARB and NCARB are the validation boards. In the UK validated programmes are both RIBA and ARB. on the RIBA International validated website RIBA International Validated Programmes it says the Pratt Master of Architecture Program (3 years) is validated. So for the OP this means Pratt=3 Years, UK=2 Years. @robhaw the benefit is just a school having the 'brand' or quality standard of RIBA which is in the mind of UK architects the gold standard. New or applicant UK Part 1, 2 and 3 programmes usually take 3 years to receive full validation (candidate given and most Unis start programs because you need students/portfolios and quality systems to go through validation process). For example Leeds University just started a new programme and is 'candidate status" UK Validated Programmes For internationals the standard is different and looks Pratt received validation on 29 July. Just also to note you do not have to have a Part 2 to do Part 3. Many students take Part 2 and 3 at the same time.

Aug 10, 21 12:14 pm  · 
2  · 
kyrajohnston16

Thank you all for your helpful comments. So if I understand correctly, aside from Pratt Institute (if it becomes officially confirmed), if I completed a “Part 2” similar course in the US and wanted to still pursue an architecture license in the UK I would have to pay a fee to do a Part 2 exam. Following that, if successful I would then sit my part 3?

Aug 11, 21 2:50 pm  · 
1  · 
TED

@kyra Yes, that is correct you would have to pay a fee and do Part 2 Arb exam - but you can do your Part 3 at any time just have to meet the Part 3 entry criteria of specific programme which is usually based on work experience (since most require case study - you are best to be in employment at the time of Part 3). 

Based on RIBA website, Pratt International is confirmed but you should note that the Part 2 programme is the 3 year programme not the 2 year. If Pratt 'mapped' the RIBA criteria only on modules in the last 2 years of the programme and applied that would be ok. But I believe they would have to admit you in the 3 year programme with advanced standing to get the RIBA Int. 

Since you will have completed Part 1 in the UK, I don't see any problem with you passing the Arb exam when you complete your studies - its only money and time. Really stupid stuff by ARB is a quango that is very protective gentlemen's club and has locked horns with RIBA. Here's the  Pratt Validation Report

Aug 12, 21 3:48 am  · 
1  · 
TED

Just to note if you were licensed in the UK one used to be able to go down to RIBA Portman street with your license and US passport and become UK qualified (late 80s') that's why you see many US architects with RIBA after there name - they didn't do the ARB route. Reciprocity was pulled when US pulled it's international reciprocity.

Aug 12, 21 3:53 am  · 
1  · 
kyrajohnston16

Thank you so much you have clarified the is completely for me! I will most likely do a US degree (not the pratt institute) and just deal with the payment and part II arb exam when I’m back. Thanks again.

Aug 12, 21 7:03 am  · 
1  · 
TED

Sounds like a great plan - Look into Kennedy Scholarship and Marshall Scholarship for your US studies - Architects have won these -

Aug 12, 21 9:38 am  · 
1  · 
kyrajohnston16

I’m afraid I’m not a US passport holder but I am a UK passport holder. Any architecture scholarship suggestions for entering the US with a UK passport?
Thanks!

Aug 12, 21 3:25 pm  · 
1  · 
TED

Yes! For UK nationals headed to the US for study! Marshal scholarship is also for US citizens headed to UK. Go for it.

Aug 13, 21 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
ArchiTwn

This is the path I took. Did my Part 1 in the UK, Part 2 in the US. Currently doing my Part 3 now while still in the US. Once completed I can use my Part 3 as my submission for the part 2 arb equivalency. Pro tip. Try and work for a UK office for at least one or two of your PEDR sheet periods, or find an office in the US with a UK branch

Aug 24, 21 11:01 pm  · 
1  · 
t a z

Well seems as tho BREXIT was good for something:

https://www.ncarb.org/press/un...

Jun 10, 22 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: