Archinect
anchor

Left the profession & happy 5 years later

Cpontrel

Hi all,

In 2017 I left the profession & traditional practice and haven't looked back. I successfully transitioned into the nonprofit space and have been working with a variety of organizations that deal with art, urban design, parks, and recreation. I've been recently reconnecting with some old school mates and felt my story might be helpful to others in doubt or considering a change of direction.

It was an incredibly difficult decision but the right one for me to leave. Unlike some of my peers, and stories I've read here, I started my career off in a position that was actually well paying for the time (I was making over 85k after 4 years, with benefits) and with a lot of latitude for independence. It was a government job I was lucky to land, had regular hours 9-5, etc. However, the work ended up being a real slog, lacking creativity, and ultimately unsatisfying. After four years it was hard to get up every day and go to work... so I started looking for something new. When I looked at moving into private practice, I was more turned off by the unbalanced work schedules, poor pay, lack of flexibility, and limited scope of creative work for my level of experience. I also was totally emotionally stuck, having invested a huge sum in my degree, 10 years of time to architecture, and just completed my last licensing exam--a paperwork submittal away from my license. God I was stuck, and frustrated, and not sure what to do. 

Academia left me with a deep desire and drive to positively impact my communities, and also left me less than interested in working for private wealthy clients. While trying to figure my life out, I started up a small company that provided urban movement education and also engaged in public art installation work (while still working my govt job). This became so incredibly satisfying--being able to design and build NOW, to create delight for people, to be involved in shaping public space. I never made much money doing this, not enough to leave my govt job and survive in NYC, but I did learn so much. 

Through this work I was exposed more fully to the social Enterprise and nonprofit sector---and the large world of art, architecture, design, parks, urban planning, and so on that existed in that space... And I discovered my next move. 

It took a little time but finally I landed a significant leadership role in a nonprofit that intersected urban design, art/architecture installation, social justice, and education. I moved across the country for the opportunity--one that paid notably less than my government architecture job. However it was way more flexible (partially remote), with a 35h work week, and with work that I was going to have creative license and leadership over. I also had clear room for advancement and was engaged in work that was changing my community today. Not to mention i divorced the toxic work reality that was the NYC grind. I have since worked with several organizations and truthfully have never been happier or more fulfilled in my life. Some days feel like when I was in studio--i could work for hours and hours and be enthralled and engaged. Some days of course still feel like work is work. But I never could have imagined such a high level of life satisfaction had I stayed in arch.

It hasn't been easy. I didn't realize how much my story-of-self and identity was wrapped up in architecture. I cried a lot and did my fair share of therapy... But now that I'm on the other side, i can say the change was better than good. I still use my architectural skills every day and attribute my abilities to find creative, contextual, and comprehensive solutions to business and organizational problems to my education and experiences in architecture. I'm glad I didn't slog it out.

I just wanted to offer this as a positive outcome, as I'm not sure many people come back to do so. I'd be happy to chat with anyone 1-1 about their professional position and uncertainties with their career, as well as field questions about the nonprofit and government space. I wish I had outside mentorship and guidance as I tried to make that change, as I feel like it would have saved me a lot of the emotional frustration.

Jul 12, 21 9:57 pm
sameolddoctor

So, you are making way less than 85k after about 8 years after graduation? This is the rub. A lot of us aren't in situations where we could afford to follow our passions and do meaningful stuff, like you are doing. It does seem like you are loving what you do!

Jul 12, 21 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Cpontrel

I make more than $85k today, about 10 years after graduation. When I transitioned initially, I did take a pay cut, down to $50k, but then was able to navigate up quickly. There are a lot of jobs architectural backgrounds can transition to that pay a middling salary that is sufficient to start, with more room for quicker advancement than what I experienced in architecture. There are also a lot of jobs with better pay as well, depending on how advanced you are in your career.

Jul 12, 21 10:47 pm  · 
1  · 
Cpontrel

*I also spent years saving to create a buffer for when I finally made the jump to switch. I lived frugally and carefully during my transition year.

I don't advise anyone quitting their job tomorrow on impulse--it definitely requires planning & patience, but it is really possible to end up doing something you're passionate about and making good money doing it.

Jul 12, 21 10:48 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

That is good to hear, thanks for clarifying. The general consensus is that there is not much money to be made working for non profits and the like, but guess that is not true.

Jul 13, 21 2:17 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Depends on the non-profit. Most of them just don't have a lot of money but some do have money to pay someone a decent amount. Always worth knowing more about each non-profit before making a decision.

Jul 13, 21 3:51 am  · 
 · 
bofillintheblank

I'm glad you lucked out on these breaks in your career. The advice on here usually is to stick it out until you get licensed then leave. Has your license helped you or do you not use it anymore? Considering how long and the cost it takes to get licensed (even when NCARB has made it sort of easier) everyone who complains on here seems to want to bail just as they are on the cusp of licensure, but the feeling was there way before that. 

Jul 13, 21 6:58 am  · 
 · 
Cpontrel

There definitely was luck involved but truthfully my architectural experiences really translates well. Project management, partnership and relations building, communications, etc.

Jul 13, 21 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Cpontrel

I am not in the architectural field or adjacencies really at all. I currently work for an arts institution and offer org consulting on the side.e

Jul 13, 21 11:20 am  · 
 · 

$85 K - is this American, Canadian, or ?????

Also what city were / are you working in?

Jul 13, 21 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Cpontrel

$85k USD. NYC back when I was in architecture and now current in Seattle in the nonprofit sector. My bad! Though I put that in.

Jul 13, 21 11:18 am  · 
 · 

It's cool. I just thought I would help people to understand the market better.

Jul 13, 21 5:34 pm  · 
1  · 
K Way

Hi Cpontrel. I've just read through this post & comments. I'd like to take you up on the offer for some one-on-one advice. It seems we have some common interests in the built environment -  art, urban design, parks, nonprofits, architecture. 

My background is in social work, community development, & housing law - always at nonprofits. I'm passionate about art and landscape design/gardening as well. 

I am in the info gathering stage of a career change and am considering taking the architecture, urban planning, or art pathways. It's seeming more so like architecture is not the best option for me, and I'm trying to learn more about jobs that are out there related to those other above-mentioned interests. I hardly know what to dream.

It sounds like you may be able to help me think outside the architecture box. I have a bachelor's degree and am trying to think of related jobs I could do now as I look into master's degree programs. It pretty much seems essential I get a master's degree if I'm ever going to rise above a $42,000 salary. So, some job and education advice could be helpful!

I'd love to talk on the phone or email about this stuff. Perhaps there's a way to send a message with contact info? Or we could connect over Linkedin. Let me know if you're willing to talk! 

Thanks, 

Karlene

Apr 17, 22 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
BluecornGroup

There is the common perception that an architect is the lead professional in this complex "plan-design-build" environment - Planning (C&RP) is the red-headed stepchild in the School of Architecture & Planning - I am glad you discovered nonprofit work in project planning as I have - I also work in community and economic development for Tribes as we are a SW Native firm - building design (architecture) just a portion of the work that involves great creativity ...  

Apr 18, 22 11:50 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: