Archinect
anchor

Physical models vs virtual representation

amntb

Hi,

Out of curiousity, do you still rely on the physical models during your studies ?

Are the  3d representation / virtual reprenstation considereded as a replacement or enough so that  you are dissmissed from relying on physical models ? 

If yes at which year of studies  do you rely only on 3d virtual models ?

Jun 24, 21 2:54 pm
natematt

Both still things that entry level designers are expected to do in a lot of firms, I would hope from a practical level they would keep people building models. Based on the portfolio's we see around here, I would say both are required. 

Jun 24, 21 2:57 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

I never relied solely on virtual models of my work, not as a student nor as a professional. You’d rob yourself of very useful skills that can be useful in many different ways...you’ll get a sense of scale, material, tectonics etc. and you might learn to use nice machines and tools that might come in handy at home.

I once made a bookcase from an old door using nothing but my Swiss pocket knife, so you don’t need to rely on certain machines and tools if you don’t want to, but it might be nice to be able to choose.

Jun 24, 21 4:19 pm  · 
2  · 

I use both physical and digital models.  Clients tend to respond better to physical models.  

Jun 24, 21 4:23 pm  · 
2  · 
x-jla

I use physical models more effectively for studying…and like that I can set them on fire when I get frustrated 

Jun 24, 21 4:30 pm  · 
1  · 
amntb

Is it mondatory, or by choice ?

Jun 25, 21 10:09 am  · 
 · 

I tend to do physical models when I have figured out the design and tend to use them for presentations. I do use physical massing 'blocks' during conceptual design for rough space planning - especially when doing so with clients. I'll also do a physical site model for complex sites as it helps everyone to understand the reasoning behind building massing locations. 

I typically do digital modeling for everything else as it's faster and easier to explore options.  

Jun 25, 21 11:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: