Archinect
anchor

Short term architecture course

Danima

Hi there, i missed my chance studying architecture in uni due to discouragement from my family bcoz of the infamous long working hours. I'm alr in my late 20s and i still feel the utter regret not choosing that as my major. So i was thinking i could learn architecture as a hobby and experience architecture school? right now I'm working and dragging myself to work...My regret is killing me. Hope someone could give me some advice as sometimes this regret can be paralysing. 

Jun 21, 21 8:26 pm
Non Sequitur

what is it about architecture that you believe you want to experience? 

Jun 21, 21 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Danima

The making and building of structures and designing things on hand and also via the 3D software.

Jun 21, 21 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Danima

Also
the studying of how buildings work and the inside of it.

Jun 21, 21 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There are many local-college level technology diplomas that may touch on some of these although certainly not to the design level you would get in an accredited arch school. Plenty of people jump into a B.arch or M.arch later in life so it's not uncommon... if you can afford it, but the road is long.

Jun 22, 21 7:43 am  · 
 · 
midlander

even as a hobby it still needs 60 hours a week. it's just easier to accept the low compensation if you classify it that way :)

Jun 22, 21 1:12 am  · 
 · 
Danima

Is it worth going back to architecture school?

Jun 22, 21 6:34 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

if you want a job as an architect, yes. if you enjoy appreciating architecture but don't intend to design buildings there is plenty to read and learn online or in libraries. if you're unsure, i'd suggest attending events with a local architecture society and meeting some architects to talk about their work. i assume from your description your current field is unrelated to design.

Jun 22, 21 8:32 am  · 
 · 
midlander

btw my comment was a joke poking fun of the idea there is some shortcut way to being an architect. while it isn't always easy, there are good reasonably well paid jobs for mid level architects. it takes some intentionality to pursue a suitable career path for that.

Jun 22, 21 8:34 am  · 
1  · 
Danima

Haha yes i figured. But the fact that the world is revolving around data and IT now makes me resistant in jumping into this architecture field

Jun 22, 21 11:19 am  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

I went back to university at age 42, its never too late

Jun 22, 21 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Danima

Did you have a degree before that? What was it and what's the major you studied in your later life?

Jun 22, 21 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
Danima

May i ask what made you go back to uni as well?

Jun 22, 21 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Nope. I had a college diploma as an architectural technologist. I went back to school because my employer encouraged me to apply to the RAIC Syllabus program. I work full time while getting my degree. It actually takes close to ten years to complete but I finish with the required hours for my provincial association. I live in a rural area with very few architects.

Jun 22, 21 11:57 pm  · 
 · 

If you love what you do, the long hours aren't a burden, but an opportunity to develop that love. I got to bed at 5:00am this past Saturday morning. First thing: 'Google Search' your two comments, that'll give ideas for books to read/ videos to watch. Also, since Architecture is primarily software-based, learn what schools/ the profession uses: Revit or ArchiCAD, Rhino/ Grasshopper, AutoCad, SketchUp, Photoshop/ Illustrator, etc. Rhino/ SketchUp are fairly basic to learn, while Revit takes more time (trust me, I know). Just pick one program to start with. Bear in mind, if you don't have alot of money, some student/ trial versions are free. Most require student enrollment as proof for a reduced or no-fee license. Also, to learn it at home, since you're busy; UDEMY is pretty inexpensive with most courses running about $14.00 USD. The website has basically everything from software to engineering/ construction/ design to presentation skills. That way, you'll know the software before you enter into College. Consider going on-line and explore what they offer. Upon completion of courses, they give a certificate of completion. If anything, it'll be an ego boost. Use your assignments from one course, like SketchUp/ Revit/ Rhino assignments and use those in an Illustrator, Photoshop/ Photoshop Essentials(it's free) course. The most important aspect to me is the lifetime access to each course for refreshing my memory or a specific command. Lastly, preview a course to figure out if the Instructor is good as their courses are rated by other students. In addition, sometimes an Instructor is difficult to understand. Also, the Instructors answer questions and have been very gracious. At minimum, just explore the website. Onward and upward!!!

Jun 22, 21 5:08 am  · 
 · 
Danima

Is it worth going back to architecture school?

Jun 22, 21 6:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

software =/= architecture.

Jun 22, 21 7:39 am  · 
 · 
Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

CA pigeonhole =/= architecture.

Jun 22, 21 8:01 am  · 
 · 

Danima, Only you can answer that question. I gave suggestions for your possibly doing something, the first step is yours. 

software =/= architecture and CA pigeonhole =/= architecture, ya think?

Jun 22, 21 11:28 am  · 
1  · 
go do it

i took this course.. very good

https://www.edx.org/search?sub...

Jun 22, 21 11:05 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

I always forget about edx, thanks for reminding me...some good courses among those!

Jun 23, 21 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

don’t let the regret of choosing or not choosing architecture as a major kill you, not worth it...it’s just a job, a career or a calling that’s all, or a hobby if  you can afford it.

Jun 23, 21 3:18 pm  · 
1  · 
ar.veenabhat

if you love it its never too late

Feb 6, 24 11:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: