Archinect
anchor

Masters in Canada vs the UK

Archimelon

Hello everyone

I have to say its all come back to square one, well at least for me!! Yes, i've received rejections this year, I don't really see many talk about failures on this platform, but that isn't going to stop me from giving it another try for the next fall.

This entire process of looking for the right Masters course that fits you, really gets overwhelming. I am interested Urban planning or Urban design.

Can someone on here please, give an insight on studying, working and settling down in Canada vs the UK.

Any little information will be really helpful!

Thanks

Jun 17, 21 2:37 pm
Non Sequitur

a masters in urban design? gross.  Why bother with that since it won't get you an architect's license... so what's your goal here?

Jun 17, 21 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Archimelon

This might be the case in most Canadian uni’s where planning is based into policy. But the planning course at SAPL is design based. They have full accreditation to

Jun 18, 21 1:47 am  · 
 · 
Archimelon

~ to Professional Standards Board (PSB), SAPL is formulated around form based planning with design studios, where as the UK universities have Urban Design that come under M.Arch. I don't really want to leave design for paper work.

Jun 18, 21 2:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

so.... it's accredited by the Alberta institute of planners. Big woop. How is the degree reciprocity with other planning associations or is your goal to live in Alberta? Spoiler alert, it's cold with few urban areas and chances that you fall into a mostly design career vs public policy/zoning are slim.

Jun 18, 21 7:57 am  · 
1  · 
Archimelon

Well not really it is accredited by the Professional Standards Board (PSB), and representing the accreditation requirements of the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Alberta Professional Planners Institute, which means I can move to a warmer province?? I've heard about the winters you have there, I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice though.

Jun 18, 21 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

warmer province?

Jun 18, 21 9:27 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

I can say as an Albertian that the summers are the best! Warm and no humidity with a light breeze (80 km/h gusts yesterday meh), but our winter are long and very cold. I also live in Northern Alberta where we get 20 hours of daylight in the summer and 20 hours of darkness in the winter and a spectacular light shows (Aurora Borealis) every spring and fall. I moved here from Ontario over 15 years ago and I love it. Most work here is either government, for a developer, or oil/natural gas field related. Pick your poison carefully.

Jun 18, 21 10:52 am  · 
3  · 
Almosthip

warmer province = BC = high cost of living

Jun 18, 21 10:52 am  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Haven't looked extensively into UK universities, but they look expensive - maybe not U.S. levels, but worse than Canada's Domestic/International tuition rates...

Also, not sure on Urban Design and Planning but there might be an agreement between the UK and Canada for mutual recognition of education/registered designers - so you can study in one then work in the other or both. (UK seems to be absent now, for architects at least):
Accredited Programs outside Canada – Canberra Accord | CACB
Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) (aibc.ca)

Jun 17, 21 4:08 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

There is reciprocity for accredited architecture degrees... but urban design/planning programs are not listed by the CACB unless they are also an architecture school.

Jun 17, 21 4:44 pm  · 
1  · 
Archimelon

Thanks

Jun 18, 21 2:08 am  · 
 · 
Archimelon

@newbie.Phronesis Thank you for the reply
I have done a lot research on these topics and it’s all confusing as you move from one country to another.
I am an international applicant and in terms of Canada doing an M.Arch would be a 3 year course, as we have to do a foundation year to match the Canadian level and it’s 2 years in the UK.
I’ve looked at planning courses across Canada and the SAPL programme in Calgary is surely interesting, the rest being multidisciplinary.
Do you have any thoughts on U of Calgary?
Working aspect especially for an international student in UK is super weird and complicated, they would just send us back home after 2 years if u don’t get a visa sponsor.

Jun 18, 21 3:30 am  · 
1  · 
newbie.Phronesis

@N.S. exactly, thought there might be something similar for Urban Planners but that's up to OP to research.

@Archimelon U. of Calgary seems fairly good, not the top Canadian school but not the worst. Last I looked they have a tech focus (Robotics, Parametric design offered) + offer semesters & trips abroad --> so you have flexible options there.

Jun 18, 21 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Archimelon

@newnewbie.Phronesis
Thanks for all the inputs I will keep UOC as an option and look at a few more that fits my needs. Although the word is quality of education is seemingly high all over Canada. True?
At the end of it I don’t want to fall in the debt category (No one does XD)
No matter what top university one studies in, you are on your own once ur out! Am I right?

Jun 19, 21 1:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: