Archinect
anchor

Credit differences across universities (U.K.)

Mullac_Egr_95

hello, I am looking for some clarity on the number of credits awarded for each degree classification and if there’s any real differences. 

I am almost finished my masters studying in the U.K.  I changed university for my final 2 years. 

At the university I am currently at they do a third semester for the dissertation (optional) upon completion you are awarded with an MArch with a total of 180 credits, with the dissertation being worth 60. Without the dissertation or third semester we can finish and graduate now but with a PG.Dip  

Now, at my previous university there isn’t a final third semester and they have finished, graduating with an MArch for only 120 credits worth of work. Is there a discrepancy here at one of or both universities or will my MArch be worth more as i am required to carry out an additional 600 hours work for apparently the same degree.

In terms of future employment do they treat a PG.Dip as a lesser qualification even though it’s credit weighting is equal? Thanks 

Jun 16, 21 1:02 pm
robhaw

This is a very serious matter, in that you have to ensure that you can get RIBA Part II accreditation upon completion of your degree.

Therefore, contact your programme directly and ask.

The danger I see here is that with a PG. Dip you would not be eligible to eventually register for a Part 3 course and thus you will not be able to become a registered architect.

Jun 16, 21 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Architecture MArch Degrees in the UK are considered undergraduate awards - this allows UK funding for all 5 years of study. 

I am certain if you check your previous university they do 2 years(4 semesters or 6 terms) and 180 credits. The final year project is typically the 'dissertation' project which is required in a MArch award. There is no rule for how many credits a Masters' program is - it can be  as little as 120 credits. What's important is that the programme was RIBA/ARB Part II validated. 

It looks like you're at Glasgow as they are the only ones who offer a PGDip/MArch. (The AA is a AADip which is PGDip).

In the UK (about 8-10 years ago) most Unis previously offered PGDip and changed it to MArch because UK immigration allowed 'Master holders" to stay 2-3 years work experience. (changed now)  A University programme can have up to 50% level 6 modules in an MArch award.

I don't think UK architectural employers would think twice over the award.  I would always include PGDip Part II on your CV.  Internationally and if you shift fields in the future there are jobs that state 'Min Masters' degree so might hurt.  

Why didn't you do the Masters' dissertation for the MArch?

Jun 17, 21 9:39 am  · 
 · 
TED

FYI Glasgow is RIBA/ARB PGdip Part II / RIBA/ARB MArch Part II

Jun 17, 21 9:47 am  · 
1  · 
Mullac_Egr_95

Hi Ted, thanks for some clarity on the issue.

Jun 17, 21 2:58 pm  · 
1  · 
Mullac_Egr_95

Also to address your last part, I am completing the MArch, it was the differentiation between the MArch and PGDip is where the misunderstanding was. It’s obviously just differences in the way the courses are delivered. Both are RIBA/ARB part 2 validated so in the end it doesn’t matter greatly.

Jun 17, 21 3:05 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: