Archinect
anchor

how to quickly shot architecture model [in an architecture studio]

Tim_

Hi,

we don't have a place dedicated to shoot architecture model in our architecture school.

I'd like to shoot quickly shoot architecture models of some students, 

I have a black fabric,and would like to use it as a background, any tips on how to get the best shooting , lightining , angle of view, using the light comming laterally from a window ( natural lighting) .

Jun 14, 21 2:35 pm

Let me google that for you real quick . . . .

https://www.firstinarchitectur...

Jun 14, 21 2:36 pm  · 
1  · 

Some good info there. Two light sources is important. In a pinch you can use a piece of white foam core as an umbrella or diffuser of sorts. A lot of my models when I first started were photographed with a drafting lamp as the single light source and a piece of foam core to help fill in some of the harsh shadows.

Shoot in raw mode for better post-processing capabilities. If you have it, use a tripod and a remote shutter (or just set the camera's timer) so you can get longer exposures to make up for the low lighting you'll get from desk lamps, etc. without adding in any camera shake, or needing to revert to a high ISO that introduces graininess.

Finally, if you get a good setup figured out, don't be stingy. If others ask, let them use the setup or give them pointers or even take the photos for them. I ended up taking photos for most of my group projects, shared the photos with the group, and only asked for them to give me a photo credit in their portfolios in return. In one case the professor asked me to take photos of all the class' models and I did the same with sharing the photos.

Jun 15, 21 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Can't really get quicker than this:

Overkill Rage GIF by WTFrame Comics

Side note, do they not teach basic photography in schools?  Seems like it's a fundamental skill.

Jun 14, 21 2:38 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I mean, shit, you can learn this from YouTube, Tik-Tok, or IG now...

Feb 3, 22 6:12 pm  · 
1  · 
Tim_

I'd liked to , It was for a while  but things changed, so now, sadly, it is not incorporated. the absence of a dedicated place for models is really speaking...

I've already done some research on the net, I'd liked to call for your experience , if some one has faced this situation.

Jun 14, 21 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
lower.case.yao

I've shot model besides my dining room table using only a floor lamp for the light source and the table legs to hold the paper. Everything else is done in PS.

Jun 14, 21 3:27 pm  · 
1  · 
Tim_

i'd try to see if I coud do the same with natural lighting !

Jun 15, 21 4:15 am  · 
 · 

WTF are you doing making a physical model - is your computer broken?

Jun 14, 21 4:02 pm  · 
3  ·  2
Tim_

My computer is doing good, rendering  at the time being.

Do you , at your school, rely only on virtual models ? It would be interesting to know how many,here, rely only on that only ?

Jun 15, 21 4:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

At Miles' school? I think he predates the invention of basswood.

Jun 15, 21 7:13 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

Miles didn't go to school. He's never done anything. He exists only conceptually, so that whatever you do he can criticize it and never account for himself. He calls it art.

Feb 3, 22 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
msparchitect

My new technique.

Jun 15, 21 12:58 pm  · 
2  · 
Tim_

Thanks, I used to do that with maxwellrender as well.

Jun 16, 21 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Oscar_Ellis

There are a few ways to create a 3D model of an architecturally designed building. One way is to use Google SketchUp, which is a free program that can be used to create 3D models. Another way is to use software such as Autodesk Maya or 3ds Max, which are both paid programs.

Feb 3, 22 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
hiall

bow and arrows

Feb 3, 22 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: