Archinect
anchor

Architecture courses pre-masters

MountainOven

Hello,

I am interested in pursuing an M.Arch. I have a BFA with an interior design certification. However, I have experience with Architecture. I don’t have money for a B.Arch. May I know if there are courses that give the same knowledge/skills/certifications required for an M.Arch without costing 12 kidneys?

Jun 12, 21 10:46 am
Non Sequitur

depends, but no one is giving away accredited courses. You need a formal degree, not just a collection of courses.  You can always do a tech local college diploma but that won’t lead to an arch license. 

Jun 12, 21 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
MountainOven

Thank you for the reply. This is why I will be pursuing an M.Arch at a university, for licensing and deeper knowledge/skill acquisition. I am looking for courses that will strengthen my foundational and basic knowledge and skills, not for licensing.

Jun 12, 21 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
kenchiku

Work construction, go travel, flip through quality publications (El Croquis, Detail, Shinkenchiku, A+U) and find architects whose work you really reinstate with and then do a deep dive on them specifically, sketch a lot, design and build some furniture for your place.

These would be a better use of time and money than taking random courses given your BFA background IMO. Most architecture courses are glorified art school courses already.

Jun 13, 21 9:08 am  · 
 · 
kenchiku

That should read:
whose work you really resonate with**

Jun 13, 21 9:08 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Check into a few universities you’d be interested in attending for the M.Arch. It used to be that calculus and physics were pre-reqs for an M.Arch. It wouldn’t be bad to also have a geometry class under your belt if you don’t already. Arch degrees aren’t typically math heavy, but structures courses can be intimidating if you’re not familiar with some of the math concepts.

Jun 13, 21 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

IF you're interested in programs located in the US, take a look at the  ACSA where to study guide and look at the MArch I programs. From there you can reach out to programs that might seem interesting to you and ask what their minimum requirements are.

Jun 14, 21 10:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: