Archinect
anchor

Design Discovery Virtual at GSD

oranjejuice

Hi, I'm a recent B.Arch graduate from India.

With the whole covid issue job availabilities are scare (at least in the good firms), so I thought it would be best for me to take some time off to work on my portfolio. I recently came across the Design Discovery Virtual programme organised by GSD. And would like some inputs on whether it would help build my portfolio/ I would be able to explore design and make some contacts in the field.

Also, how hard is it to get accepted for this? Are there any stats on the acceptance rates?

During design school I had very average grades, but had a knack for creativity. I aspire to get into a leading uni for masters (along the lines of GSD, GSAPP, etc.) but I'm not sure my portfolio is good enough for that yet. Would joining this programme help me in this area/ would it add weight to the portfolio by itself too (aside from work experience)?

Thanks in advance!

May 31, 21 4:44 pm
jaredo

Doing one of those programs will definitely bolster your application because it'll give you great content given you do well in the program, plus you can get a recommendation from the critic/professor who leads your class that summer!

May 31, 21 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
oranjejuice

Thank you. I hope I can build enough content before I begin my applications :)

Jun 4, 21 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

As mentioned above - 1) Material for portfolio, well suited to the programs you'll be applying for, 2) Recommendations from instructors (Design Discovery doesn't involve actual faculty AFAIK but NYP at GSAPP did), and 3) A mock studio experience to see if you actually like it

May 31, 21 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
oranjejuice

Thanks for your response. I only just thought of it as a mock studio experience, this really puts things into perspective for deciding whether I'd like to pursue graduate school. I'm still awaiting their response. Any idea how long they take to respond to DD applications?

Jun 4, 21 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
baboo.fei

DD should be easy to get into but very few people in my M.Arch I cohort did it - it's definitely not "necessary" for admissions. Anecdotally most of the people who did it are non-backgrounds as far as I'm aware. 

Jun 4, 21 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
oranjejuice

Thanks for the reply!

Jun 4, 21 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
oranjejuice

Being an architecture graduate, I felt like it needed to explore design more, which is why I applied. Whether I apply to GSD in the future or not, I'm hoping to get into DDisco so I can really experiment with my creative abilities without being forced to submit work just for credits. :)

Jun 4, 21 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: