Archinect
anchor

Do grad schools in the US favor international applicants who can pay full tuition ?

hoepiano

Do grad schools in the US favor international applicants who can pay full tuition ? Like will it be easier to get in if you can show that you’re able to pay in top MArch programs (GSD, Yale, Princeton etc) 

May 31, 21 1:41 pm
Non Sequitur

just ask daddy to donate a few million for a new gazebo or something. That’ll help your odds to get in. 

May 31, 21 1:49 pm  · 
1  ·  2
JLC-1

Why do you ask? It is well documented

May 31, 21 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
hoepiano

I ask because I’m from a “developing” in country in South Asia where the currency holds absolutely 0 value in relation to the USD, and I want to know what my odds are while competing against other international students who have the capacity to pay the ridiculous tuition fees for most American grad schools. 

I’m currently an undergrad studying architecture in a school in america and I have a full ride, but I can’t bank on getting similar funding for grad school :/ I’m not sure if most grad programs are need aware for internationals like they are for undergraduate programs 

May 31, 21 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

applications usually don't include a question to whether you can pay fully or not, the scales can be tipped after acceptance. If you find anybody buying his acceptance, then it will be another https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_college_admissions_bribery_scandal

May 31, 21 4:34 pm  · 
1  · 
greenlander1

It's been a while but last time I checked foreign students weren't able to get financial aid (need or merit based).  Was pretty much in the open that foreigners financed educations of lower income Americans.  It's not a new concept in schools other than architecture.

Jun 3, 21 6:35 pm  · 
nastronaut

I'm about to start an m.arch at one of those schools, and I'm poor. However, they're funding the majority of the tuition, and it's become very affordable, even more so than my home country's subsidized education. the aid is need-based, not merit-based as most who get in have 'merit' (however that's defined). Princeton and MIT are known for very generous funding, with Harvard and Yale somewhere in the middle. Don't apply to Columbia, it's the most expensive city and the worst school in regards to funding, they don't give out need-based aid. 

Oh, and admission is need-blind, the admissions department and financial aid department don't talk about applicants at all. Ppl are admitted, then their files are pushed to the financial ppl to be processed. Separate systems so don't worry about that. 

Jun 3, 21 10:26 pm  · 
4  · 
monosierra

GSAPP has a reputation for milking every cent out of Chinese students.

Jun 3, 21 11:00 pm  · 
1  · 
baboo.fei

They kind of have a reputation for milking every cent out of everyone who has even the remotest bit of money for them to extract. Even then I heard the program is financially struggling, which I find quite surprising.

Jun 4, 21 5:59 pm  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Worst value for money amongst Ivies - their facilities are woefully lacking compared to GSD, MIT, SOA, Taubman etc.

Jun 4, 21 9:36 pm  · 
1  · 
baboo.fei

@nastronaut is correct about Princeton and MIT being extremely generous - experienced this first-hand. I know someone with zero financial need and was offered a full scholarship at one of the two. 

Intl' applicants have less of an advantage with them just because they are less concerned with the student's ability to pay. 

Jun 4, 21 6:02 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

For undergrad, MIT's scholarships are 100% need-based (unless they changed something recently). Not sure if it also works that way for grad students, but a reason they can be very generous is that they don't give out merit scholarships. It's all financial aid. Another reason is they have a shitload of money.

Jun 4, 21 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
archi_gram

that's tarnishing international students

College "favors" anyone who can pay full tuitionship. But they actually favor favors kids family who are big donors to the school and that's mostly domestic students whose parents attended the same college

Jun 6, 21 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: