Archinect
anchor

ASU vs PRATT for MArch 3 year program

DR..

I've been admitted to both the schools and both of them are really good schools on their own. I'm currently really confused as to which school to pick. I believe that pratt is better than ASU in all aspects except for money. Right now there are not many internships available in ASU, as I've heard, and that is very concerning. 

I want to know which school is better for me. I did my civil Engineering in India. I'm shifting my career and I don't really know if I would like a design-based curriculum or a theoretical curriculum. I also want a good job opportunity; even though architecture doesn't pay well, I want to do justice to the tuition ill be paying in either of the schools. 

I really need help in deciding which school to attend so that I can apply for my visa soon (I really want to attend school in person and there isn't a lot of visa slots available in India right now). I would appreciate any kind of information.

May 25, 21 10:08 am
leriot

Hi! I have studied in ASU a few years ago.

If I were you, I would go for Pratt. Its name generally has a better reception in the States than ASU, and names get you far in that country. Also, NY is a better environment for making connections. In my opinion you would have better internships and employment options if you study in Pratt.

Arizona is its own bubble, but there are definitely interesting - and not so interesting - employment opportunities within the state. I have faced situations when I was told at the interviews that despite a good portfolio and resume they are hesitant to give me job because they prefer to avoid ASU graduates.

Jul 12, 21 8:34 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

What’s so bad about ASU? They have top notch staff? My kid wants to go to ASU because of certain staff

Jul 24, 21 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

Love the faculty at ASU! One of the best parts of going there.

Aug 10, 21 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

100%!

Aug 10, 21 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

100%!

Aug 10, 21 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

When you have staff like Hejduk, Burnette, Bruder, Rotondi… what school has those type of heavy hitters!

Aug 10, 21 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

Not even to mention the Miralles triumvirate of Rocchi, Spellman, Vekstein, and I think they've added another acolyte from outside the office (Felipe Mesa?) But that was after my time.

Aug 11, 21 11:46 am  · 
1  · 
leriot

Mainly the reputation, and sometimes the student body.

The reputation is really bad, and honestly the school does not deserve it. In state, of course, it is considered good, but if you plan to work in a different state, you might struggle. Once at a student conference in Stanford I asked a question, and the speaker said that me atanding ASU is terrible - in front of a full auditorium! You get the picture. In my experience, it is not really a party school - the parties are moderate compared to what I am used to. I taught freshmen, and they were very hardworking.

On the other hand, there are a lot of 1st generation uni students, low-grade attendees or students that have to work a lot and academia is simply not their prime focus. It is partially good, and partially bad if you personally take studies seriously - there are a lot of group projects, when your partners night be not committed at all. I struggled a lot because my groupmates sometimes were not as invested in what I consider my calling - but of course, it is very subjective and also depends on luck. I've seen classes that had lots of motivated students and others that have none.

So, truly the issue is it's reputation. Architecture is rather elitist and having the better names on a resume makes life just a bit easier - but not significantly, of you consider the whole picture.

Jul 24, 21 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Total bull. Who was the lecturer? I can say a lot of things in front of a room filled with students… does that make it true?

Aug 11, 21 9:45 am  · 
 · 
leriot

I agree, and I am not saying it is true; what I want to say is that there IS prejudice against the university.

Aug 11, 21 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
leriot

The example with the lecturer is rather extreme, but I faced dismissive behavior as an ASU grad on multiple occasions.

Aug 11, 21 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Unless your stroking egos at a high society elite architecture orgy party doesn’t mean shit in the real world. I know some damn fine grad students that are doing great for
themselves out of ASU

Aug 11, 21 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
leriot

What I actually mean is the job market. I personally know super talented asu grads who are doing well.

Aug 12, 21 2:45 am  · 
 · 
leriot

Just to clear things up, I am not saying that ASU is providing bad education - as some other commenters mentioned, the faculty is amazing. I've heard in the interviews: "we usually don't hire from ASU", "why did you chose a party school", "why such a random school" etc. The fact is still there: the uni has problems with reputation that go decades back; it might or might not hinder one's career. In my opinion, Pratt is better regarded in general, and I know nothing about their architectural problem. Personality I find NY an easier place for networking then PHX. What I am NOT saying is that ASU arch program is bad or that all students are bad or that as a graduate you would be unable to join job market at all. IMHO, architecture is an arguably elitist profession with a lot of completion for good positions, and things like school's prestige are important, especially in the US. My opinion is based purely on my experience. If you had a different experience - well, that are good news, and I hope that things will be well with the uni's rep in the future.

Aug 12, 21 2:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: