Archinect
anchor

Is it normal for Architecture schools to not ask for an Art portfolio when applying?

archibox3

I raised some eyebrows because there were really no restrictions when I applied. 

May 17, 21 5:33 pm
ODMA

What country/university? In Ireland, some of the universities that require very high grades for entry don't request a portfolio nor do they do an interview. If the grades are high, I wouldn't be too concerned. If they're low, I'd raise my second eyebrow. 

May 17, 21 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
archibox3

Austria. They didn't need any requirements, only the language in my case. Once I passed the language, I was good to go. But I had a feeling something was wrong. 

May 17, 21 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
apkouv

You only now realised it is concerning after having already studied there for 7 semesters? 

May 17, 21 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
archibox3

. Looks like someone researched me well. But you can hear the full story now. I wanted to finally begin my studies since I've had a 2 year gap and 1 on the language courses. This university only required the essential documents and my Language certificate, since I wasn't studying in English and you've seen where I'm studying. I had an orientation course 1st Semester. Most of the applicants were either students who studied Architecture or graduated with another course before, there was a visible age diversity somehow. That made me suspicious but I thought I was being picky so I've let it slip. First 3 semester were quite boring cause I had to collect a couple of Exam credits in order to continue and it took me lots of effort to study and pass an exam in another language. Then the studios came and I've realized that it's actually lots of work to do. As someone who came secondary education, there were lots of things they didnt explain and I thought we had to either know beforehand or do the research on our own. But I didn not want to change from a quick moment of despair and ensure what's the situation. So if there's something I know, it's because they either mentioned it during lectures/courses. I really wanted to changed somewhere else but my parents adviced me to settle there since I've finally found a uni. The only choice was to go study back home but I've hesitated since I didn't want to go back home. But now I'm 25, on the 7th semester, still not knowing when I'm going to graduate. Any questions?

May 18, 21 2:28 am  · 
 · 
DeniseDArteaga

For me, the portfolio is always important at school or when applying

May 17, 21 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
ODMA

I disagree with this. Comparing schools that don't require a portfolio at admission with those that do, does not seem to result in poor design or representational work in later years of the programme. Architecture is quite a broad discipline and this is just one aspect of practice - and it really isn't that difficult to teach people how to draw well. I've also noticed that many programmes in schools that admit pretty much most students that apply, appear to request a portfolio purely for the purposes of keeping face. But if all students are admitted, what is really the point? 
From the perspective of discussing a portfolio during an interview, this makes a lot of sense to me in more competitive schools. But I really don't understand why so much weight is given to this in application procedures.

May 18, 21 6:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: