Archinect
anchor

Is it a good choice to transfer my studies back home?

archibox3

So I'm studying B.Sc Architecture abroad at Vienna University of Technology, currently on my 7th semester but only have 67/180 ECTS, currently done almost 4 out of the 5 Studios.

Theoretically I should have been done but i'm not because a)personal problems b)Language gap (aka my fault mostly). I wasn't working part time. 

There are also many students who have similar case as me but I feel kinda unsure. According to the uni it's a 3 year course but it takes more than that and usually people take a year more or two to get done. 

What concerns me is that I'm in my third year and I'm not sure if I will be done within a year or two and I just want to get done with my bachelor's ASAP. 

Would it be a good choice to switch studies back home? 

May 10, 21 7:10 am
TED

The language thing is very understandable - I don't know how student do it in a different language.  Architecture is about culture and there are many universities and programs that take in international students and expect them to design to norms of a foreign culture and not bring in the understanding and richness of their individual background. So more likely your performance is not purely on language.

UK has a history in 'colonialism', the commonwealth and the dominance of the Empire. In the UK with some Unis and programs there is an awareness to 'Internationalize the Curriculum'.  I have to admit I have taught with many who wished to protect the canon of the discipline.  

The Bartlett has an initiative: 'the Liberating the Curriculum initiative' - very positive move in teaching.

I would worry less about the marks and focus on how much you have learned being adventurous and living away from places you are familiar with.  

If you can carry on give it a go.  If you have an adviser me with him/her personally and be frank with them about setting yourself a high standard to finish up your studies - ask their advice. With you final marks if the last year shows great improvement, make that the headline of your transcript/portfolio. After finishing you can go back home and take up a masters.

Chin up! Good Luck!

May 10, 21 8:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: