Archinect
anchor

Re: UBC Bdes rejection, the ~sequel~, Help with picking up the pieces lol

HOWL

So, I previously made a (very short) thread talking about how I was rejected by UBC's Bachelors of environmental design and urbanism, And I have made the realization I am less ok than a realize with this. For info, UBC Bdes is a bachelors in design, and they required a decent GPA, a 3 part creative test, a resume, and a video interview for the whole application. 

After a few days of crying, I decided to accept my offer the Ryerson Architecture, and resolved to try and transfer to UBC after a year. Problem is, with how small and (somewhat) obscure of a program it is, I have no idea how hard this will be, and what they expect. The secondary school requirements were already kind of vague, and I'm not sure if it was because of my GPA (probably this, screw corona), my creative test, or something else that dragged my application down, So I don't know if transferring will even work if I'm unsure if I can change what went wrong the first time around. The rejection was a pretty hard blow to my self-confidence intellect-wise and design-wise

For context, they only have 50 seats for first year students, and 10 seats for transfers into the second year, and get around 1000 applicants. So I have a higher chance with transferring into 1st year, since there are more seats, However this means that they'll still be looking at my original high school grades, and it feels a bit psychopathic of me to apply again expecting different results. Applying to transfer into second year, however, is also just as difficult (I assume) since there are only 10 seats for said transfer students, and they'll be looking at the grades from my first year of university along with high school, and university isn't just as easy as "I'm gonna get a 100 on this quiz :D!". Maybe if I really applied myself I could do it, but there's no way to fix my high school grade as of right now (at around a 86% average in Grade 11, and a 88% in grade 12 due to the quarter system) They had said the Lowest GPA they had accepted for the first years was in the 70s, so I assume the student had an insane creative test. (and maybe I still have hope)

So I'm wondering- is it worth it to try? My reason for the obsession with UBC is that I desperately need to stay with my family to cut down on costs and I just like Ubc as it's close by (I'm also mentally not doing well so I have a feeling leaving my family in BC to go to Ontario will most definitely not be a fun experience). Judging by my high school averages it looks like impossible (I'm not sure how much grades come into play in this program, as I saw someone with a 93 average and, imo, amazing creative test also get rejected) If I go to Rye I could get some extra design knowledge to be able to boost my creative test up possibly but I'm not sure how well I'll do academically. Honestly with so many applicants it's a bit sad to say I've lost hope and faith in my own worth as a creative individual, so I just wanted a bit of reassurance and advice coming on here since all I can get from my parents right now are disappointed looks and stress lines on their faces.

thank you

Apr 30, 21 12:03 am
Non Sequitur

First things first... mental health is important. School can wait and there is no shame in waiting out a year and to try again.

With the obvious out of the way, I've written a few times about Ryerson here.  It's a strong technical school that is trying very hard to break it's stigma as a technical school... but they produce decent grads who can usually function well in an architect's office.  It is my understanding that UBC's bachelor is more rounded in it's approach but It's been a while since I've seen anything from UBC out here in Ontario.

I'll repeat a story I've written here before (I think).  I was a shit HS student.  Never attended and when I did, I never paid attention or did any of the work.  So my grades in general were shit and my average was not even good enough to meet the floor for Carleton's (then very competitive) undergrad.  I was rejected, obviously, but I was still offered a general arts degree path.  I took it and re-applied the following year with a completely new folio... and more importantly, with university grades.  This pushed away the HS stuff.  Helps that I excelled in university too.   So I got into arch school and started fresh BUT my prior year of uni allowed me to jump the cue in the electives and by 2nd semester of 1st year, I was already taking 4th year classes.  So, the point is, you could always do 1 year at RYU and work on that folio and re-apply with new work and new grades.  Maybe you won't be able to transfer 1 to 1 your first year... but if you can't, what's really the damage? It's likely that they would at least credit electives.

Anyways, like I said up on top, mental health is important and if you're not going to be in this 100%, then maybe take the time to revaluate.  Arch school is a gong-show at the best of time.  It's long hours, weekends, overnights, no sleep, bad eating, etc... You need discipline and the ability to tune out the world and focus.

Good luck.

Apr 30, 21 12:21 am  · 
4  · 
HOWL

Thank you so very much for the honest reply - I've been trying to get good advice for a while now, so I was getting a bit sick of the looks of pity and the "you'll definitely get in next time" so I really do appreciate the help. I've also emailed UBC and my school counsellor about this so I'll probably also be getting some help there as well, mentally and academically. From what I can glean, I might just possibly have a chance??? haha, I'm fully aware of how difficult a process it is but I'm extremely determined to stay in BC. This is a bit personal, But because of covid my elderly grandmother is someone who I've been caring for, so leaving BC really isn't an option for me, hence how adamant and upset I am for not getting into UBC. As for transferring and credits, what exactly does it mean to transfer one to one? I can tell it probably means completely and fully integrating into the program, but I still don't really understand the specifics of transferring even after research - the UBC Bdes site has some requirements where I have to take "equivalent courses" but since im in the Rye arch im hoping there are mostly equivalent courses? They also stated that If I lack one of the requirements for a transfer - they'll automatically consider me for year one rather than two, and look at both high school and post-secondary grades - In your opinion do you think this is a better alternative? Sorry for having so many questions haha, Its only been a day since I was rejected so emotions and questions are still very present in my mind right now

Apr 30, 21 12:30 am  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

To piggy back off of this, I remember receiving my acceptance letter, which came with an additional letter written by the department head. I'll never forget it. He wrote, and I'm very barely paraphrasing, "welcome to the faculty. You will not be permitted to work during the academic year. Architecture school is a 24/7 commitment. Good luck." I imagine that scared off a lot of people. It's total bullshit, as it happens.

Apr 30, 21 12:35 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

BB, I worked part time 20-25hrs per week throughout my undergrad. By 3rd year, I was working 3 half-days in a small arch office before my studios. Yes, studio + electives took the usual 40-80hrs per week but you learn to prioritise.

Apr 30, 21 12:39 am  · 
1  · 
HOWL

honestly- sounds about right from what my uncle has said about architecture school, He currently has his own office and the co-owners aren't helping him with anything. He's basically a shell of man running so many projects and builds, 

ps: I edited my previous response because I accidentally published before I could finish typing whoops, If anyone could shed some light on what I asked that'd be awesome, and much appreciated 

Apr 30, 21 12:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"They also stated that If I lack one of the requirements for a transfer - they'll automatically consider me for year one rather than two" 

This is what I was explaining. If you want to go to UBC, assume that you will apply as a fresh 1st year arch program student next year. Once accepted (HS and RYU grades), you can start talking about equivalencies and whatnot. If successful, then you can ask credit for some of the non core courses (electives and maybe some 1st year history stuff).  Don't look at this as a straight transfer and think of it as a new game plus.

Apr 30, 21 4:56 pm  · 
1  · 
HOWL

Thank you! haha its comforting to be able to ask questions about this stuff when in need and get good answers. Honestly I was hoping to get into my second choice and possibly transfer but because UBC bdes took so long deciding my application I got waitlisted so y hopes for that were also dashed...haha....it might just be hopeless for me since i'm not confident I can do well in Ryerson

Apr 30, 21 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
HOWL

Actually I had another question (sorry) that just occurred to me....how much did your program transfer cost. Im looking at how transferring universities is and it looks pricey depending on the credits....losing even more hope hahahaha... should I try to transfer in after one semester at RYU or a full year

Apr 30, 21 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Like I said, don’t look at it from a transfer point of view. Look at it as a brand new application. You won’t get much value transferring only the first year. I never transferred, I re-applied and used my existing credits to chop down on the non-core class requirements. When you transfer, you need to write up a comparison of each class and establish equivalency with the target program. That’s what those fees are for.

Apr 30, 21 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
HOWL

ahhh okay, thank you! I'll try my best to reapply for UBC, maybe after a semester or so in RYU, I appreciate the advice and help!

Apr 30, 21 8:10 pm  · 
1  · 
xyxyxyxyxyxy

Honestly it doesn't really matter where you do your undergrad, at the end of the day you need an M.arch. With Ryerson's undergrad you can apply to the m.arch at UBC with ap. Its easier to get into their M.arch if you're from a different undergrad school - they like the diversity. I will advise you that transferring universities is very hard, the chances of getting accepted are very very low. That being said, take a step back and look at your mental health first, its just gonna go downhill once you enter school. It seems like you are a great student with lots to offer. At the end of day its your decision to make so wherever you go, I know you'll succeed.

Apr 30, 21 3:47 am  · 
2  · 
HOWL

Thanks for your reply! I appreciate it a lot, In terms of transferring between universities, I understand the difficulty - but I'm stubbornly determined to be transferred back since I just can't afford leaving family behind and also- I just can't afford dorms haha. Although the chances are low, in your opinion, What could I do to possibly increase my chances? as mentioned above they have 50 seats for first years (including transfers if I'm right) and 10 for transfers into the second year, If I try hard enough at Ryerson- which I know is very "I know i'll do my best and get good grades !" of me to say- could I have a chance? They also consider a creative test, a resume and video interview so those are also factors!

Apr 30, 21 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
xyxyxyxyxyxy

In that case, if I were you I would simply apply next year. Taking some time off will definitely benefit you.

May 1, 21 2:12 am  · 
 · 
HOWL

Im back for more discussion! Haha lmao, A friend suggested I take a gap year to boost my average (all my grades are in the 90s EXCEPT for physics 12 which most likely considerably lowered my average, and I can retake a better social studies course that the program recommended) , and since now I know what UBC is looking for in the creative test- try and apply again after a year. If it doesn't work, then oh well, because I can defer my ryerson app one year and still attend.

Thoughts?

Apr 30, 21 9:36 pm  · 
1  · 
HOWL

I figured this would be a easier approach than transferring between universities and losing money on top of a year

Apr 30, 21 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

A gap year is a wise choice. Not only will you be able to work and save for tuition, you can rework your portfolio.

May 1, 21 8:57 am  · 
 · 
kenchiku

So I may have quite outdated ideas of what the program is as I graduated from UBC's Environmental Design program in the early 2010s...but I'm curious why they are looking at your HS grades?

When I entered the program you were to have already completed 2 years of general university courses and entered into the program at the start of your third year in university. Years 3 and 4 of university were the B.EnDs (as it was called then) degree. Is this not the case anymore?

GPA is probably one of the least important ones. However, if you have a <3.0GPA from two years of general arts at university for example...the admissions committee may be doubting your ability to handle the workload of the Environmental Design program.

Also, I'm a huge proponent of gap years. Very, very beneficial to an education in architecture.

May 1, 21 9:46 am  · 
 · 
kenchiku

Also, again basing this off my experience from ~10 years ago...I don't think it's possible at all to transfer into the program in a later year. The program is built on having students go through its entirety. Transferring into the second year of the program is most likely not possible at all, no matter how good your marks and portfolio are.

Your options would be:

1.  Do the Ryerson undergrad in its entirety and then apply and hopefully get into UBC's MArch program
  2. Take a gap year,reapply, and hopefully get into UBC's undergrad program next year
May 1, 21 11:11 am  · 
 · 
HOWL

Hullo! I'm back! haha... So I worked out a plan with my counselor but things are already kinda going wrong and I'm having doubts. It's the summer now so I haven't been able to reach her (which is frustrating) So I'm coming back on here to see if anyone has any advice! 

The plan I decided on with a counselor was that I would take a "gap year"(technically gap months) but also technically register under a community college. I'll only go through the first semester, and take 1-2 courses in the semester that can transfer to UBC, specifically 2 ENG and a GEO course. I'll then re-apply this December/Next January (the application process takes a while) with the college courses as a way to up my application and have a couple of transferrable credits. 

My uncle, who owns an architectural firm, Also offered me work as an assistant. So I will also have some real-world experience with working in architecture as well. 

I also am redoing 2 high school courses in order to boost my GPA overall, one in the summer and one in self-paced. This won't interfere with me applying to uni so I don't think it'll distract me too much.

However, there is a problem that has arisen. When I went to apply to the college courses, I couldn't apply to the ENG courses at all, turns out my English marks were not officially on my transcript, and therefore It looked like I didn't meet the pre-requisite requirements for the course even though I did. The courses immediately filled out, so now I'm left with a single college course in semester one as opposed to the original 3 I wanted.

My question is, Should I leave this one course as is and just take it, or should I find another (non-transferrable) course to take with it so I have an extra grade boost? My counsellor vaguely explained how they would look at my college grades, but I'm not sure whether UBC will look at it like an "addition" or if they'll even look at the course at all if it doesn't transfer credits.

Please send help;-; The career counsellor is refusing to do her job and answer my questions, so I'm panicking quite a bit.

Thanks!

Jul 2, 21 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

you're making a great deal of effort, and expressing far too much worry over what will effectively be 1 to 3 credits towards elective and non-core classes... so it really does not make a big difference in the end since it's your application that matters. So if any of these courses boost your GPA and you can scrap together a quality folio, then go for it... but don't get ahead of yourself.

Jul 3, 21 12:16 am  · 
 · 
HOWL

Thanks for the reply! Yeah... I went through it with my friend and we came to the conclusion that I shouldn't worry too much about the college courses and instead should focus on getting better grades in the high school courses I'm retaking, and focus on the supplemental application as well. I'm an anxious person by nature so I wanted to make sure haha...I'm also not taking a full year of college and transferring either, so there's not much information on my specific situation so i worry more haha...

Jul 3, 21 12:31 am  · 
 · 
HOWL

I'm also starting to doubt this original gap year plan, though I had reassurance that it's a good idea, I'm starting to wonder if maybe just taking a year of community college would've been a better idea but I'm not sure anymore

Jul 3, 21 12:36 am  · 
 · 
HOWL

I did a gap year- reapplied and got in! it wasn't hopeless after all ;-;;;

May 12, 22 3:38 am  · 
10  · 
SneakyPete

Congratulations. It's good to see your effort have paid off.

May 12, 22 2:42 pm  · 
1  · 
arkarminsan

i

Sep 21, 22 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Goober

Congrats! I was also rejected from bdes and it definitely felt like my dreams were destroyed lol. Anyway now I'm at ubc in a different program and i want to transfer into bdes for 2nd year. I was wondering if you had any advice for me since you successfully got in!

Nov 20, 22 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
ZystenZen

Hey I'm not HOWL but I'm a first year BDES student, ik applications are soon, if you have any questions shoot them here

Jan 19, 23 4:22 am  · 
1  · 
Smarits

Hey I am a student from BC currently attending university of Waterloo looking to apply for first year bdes program. I am wondering if you or anyone knows if my application will be included with the people from BC (I’ve heard you have a better chance at getting in) or with people outside of BC as I am currently studying in Ontario. Thank you

Jan 22, 23 12:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Are you attending Loo architecture school?

Jan 22, 23 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Smarits

No I am in environmental planning where I am learning about cities and urban design

Jan 22, 23 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Best arch school in Canada is at Waterloo. (Cambridge). But generally all applicants within Canada are considered equal so you don’t have an advantage being a BC resident vs another province.

Jan 22, 23 11:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: