Archinect
anchor

Can’t decide between undergrad schools—please help!

datmemeboi

hello! I recently got into u of t undergrad (bachelor of art), Carleton university undergrad (bachelor of science), and Pratt undergrad (5 year B. Arch) .. I was wondering if anyone had any advice? 

Apr 29, 21 12:11 pm
Non Sequitur

Um... rather odd selection.

Are you Canadian and/or paying Canadian tuition? What stream at carleton are you looking at?

Also important, Pratt's B.arch is NAAB accredited, no?  If so, then you won't need further academic credentials for license.  Carleton's bachelor is non-accredited (b.arch don't exist in Canada anymore) so you will need to complete an accredited (NAAB or CACB) Master's degree.

So, base your decision on cost + time and where you want to eventually live & work.  

Apr 29, 21 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
datmemeboi

I’ve lived in the US my whole life. I’m half Canadian too..not sure if it’s relevant information but I thought I should include it. 

Apr 29, 21 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's relevant, at least in terms of tuition cost. Canadian tuition is dirt cheap compared to the US so you could weight the pros/cons of a 5y US degree at whatever $100s of thousands of debt vs a Canadian 4y bachelors + 2/3y M.arch (at non-international tuition rates)... 

But then again, why apply to a University in Ottawa in the first place... ditto if you don't know the difference in the degree types?

Apr 29, 21 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
datmemeboi

Ok firstly, I applied to Carleton because it’s my dads alma mater and I have family close by. Remember I’ve never lived in Canada so I only know as much as what the internet can tell me.

Apr 29, 21 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
datmemeboi

Secondly, I’m only 18 years old.. I’m still trying to figure things out and researching as much as I can. There’s a reason I’m on this site asking questions before I accept an offer. I don’t want to regret my choice.

Apr 29, 21 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

In that case, just note that the bachelor degree from Carleton is inefficient on it's own (USA or Canada) if you ever want to be an architect. If you go that route, then you will need to complete a Masters degree which is more time and many more freedom dollars in debt. But, it could be worth it if you can somehow use that half-citizenship and pay local tuition un here in the vast and frozen north. Carleton also has an accredited M.arch.

For what it's worth, Carleton is my alma mater as well but it's not worth it to get a non-accredited degree at foreign tuition rates.

Apr 29, 21 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
datmemeboi

Actually i looked it up and international tuition at Carleton is cheaper than Pratt (even with my scholarship)

Apr 29, 21 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

...and that’s one reason why your country is broken. Damn.

Apr 29, 21 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
datmemeboi

Another reason why I’m trying to leave haha

Apr 29, 21 3:04 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: