Archinect
anchor

Rejected by UBC Bdes haha...

HOWL

quite unfortunate, I do wish they provide the reason why they rejected me though (grade, creative test etc) so I at least know what my short comings were lol I can't even face my family cause I feel so ashamed. Anyone else in the same boat?

Apr 28, 21 5:03 pm
hiall

I think the admission committee view application as a whole package, in which your point of view in the portfolio and statement have to be represented somehow, ideally align with their program interest. Grade, Recommendation, and Resume are all important; these materials generalized you as a person but wouldn't show much about you as a designer. But I believe that the schools miss the opportunity of seeing you as a potential candidate.

Apr 28, 21 5:25 pm  · 
1  · 
whistler

If I recall back in the day a group of 2nd / 3rd year students reviewed all the portfolios and separated them by what they felt was acceptable vs. not acceptable.  I had my undergraduate prof. as a reference, the  Architecture School phoned to check my reference and i was in..... by the way and sent in my portfolio in a red Duotang binder ( very ghetto ) as opposed to all the students who made hand crafted boxes for their shitty work, jokes on them I guess!

But seriously you should phone and ask to speak with someone on the admissions committee, and just ask how can you improve your application and what should you work on.  If you don't do that I wouldn't think much of your persistence or commitment.

I failed on my first application to get into Landscape Architecture and doubled down the second time and made a huge effort to improve my application through work experience, portfolio, classes etc and showed that I was committed to the program. It also allowed me to seriously understand the the profession / career i was going after.

Apr 28, 21 5:57 pm  · 
1  · 
HOWL

Haha not to worry I already emailed them asking how I can improve, I honestly expected the rejection since there were 800 applicants vying for 50 seats

Apr 28, 21 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Whistler, if it's any consolation, I was placed on the waitlist for UBC but had a full-ride + TA offer from Carleton at the same time.

Apr 30, 21 12:01 am  · 
 · 
HOWL

Edit: I'm considering going to Ryerson Architecture and trying to transfer into UBC Bdes - I have no idea how difficult this will be and I'm having a bit of a mental breakdown (I'll probably make a separate post for some advice haha)

Apr 29, 21 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Transferring between universities is difficult since they all have different course schedules. Most who try end up retaking a year's worth of classes just to catch up and there really is no benefit for just an undergrad degree.

Apr 29, 21 11:59 pm  · 
1  · 
HOWL

Thanks for the reply! (If you're interested I made another post out of desperation haha) I know this sounds a bit stubborn, but my main reason for applying to transfer is that as of right now familial situations require me to be close to family which are all in BC. I was hoping since ryerson was a arch course it might be a bit easier transferring - but I'm guessing not? I'm not yet a uni student so I've yet to figure out how courses work

Apr 30, 21 12:13 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I saw, and answered. Don't think of it as a transfer... think of it as a change of discipline since both are unaccredited and thus different bachelor degrees. You won't get 1 to 1, but you way get some courses knocked out. The problem is scheduling if you have to partially take 1st and partially take 2nd classes when they are only offered once per year.

Apr 30, 21 12:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: