Archinect
anchor

Chances of me getting into Harvard GSD, MDes or MDE

I’m sure there are thousands of threads like these but what are my chances of getting into Harvard GSD MDes or MDE programs with 3.3 GPA?
I graduated from Cornell B Arch program and currently in progress for ARE test completion. After getting licensed, I plan on applying to Harvard GSD. The reason why I specifically want to study in these programs is because I want to study the effects of 4th Industrial Revolution and it’s impact on architecture and architectural practices. The alarming rate of environmental, cultural, and technological shift in our society is on the verge of displacing billions of people of their jobs and home, and I want to prepare myself for this change. Plus literally all of my potential references have graduated from Harvard so I have nowhere else to go haha.
I think I have a decent portfolio, somewhat solid references, and an interesting essay topic I can write on. But the only thing I am worried about is my GPA. I have A’s in most of my design studios, but mediocre grades on other classes. Do you think I can cover my weak GPA with my portfolio and resume? 

Thank you for your feedback!

Link to portfolio:

https://issuu.com/danielyungkyunlee/docs/portfolio_and_resume_online

Apr 25, 21 9:17 pm

Btw the portfolio is for my employment application. I still need to make one for school admission.

Apr 25, 21 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

I don't work in admissions nor do I have any connection to GSD so consider that for what it's worth.  My understanding is that GPA is low on the list when it comes to applications.  Essentially if you meet the minimum for consideration it's not going to move the needle between you and your competition.  

In any case, you really can't do anything about your GPA at this point.  You can do something about improving your "somewhat solid references" and "decent portfolio."  

I skimmed your portfolio and there are some nice things there but it's about 3x the length it should be and it still could use a lot of editing.  Way too many presentation models and drawings and not enough process.  Focus your energy here and securing great reference letters.

Apr 26, 21 11:22 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for the reply!

Apr 26, 21 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

I agree that it’s way to long for admission portfolio. It’s for job application so I didn’t edit
it out yet. What projects did you think was good?

Apr 26, 21 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
mitbos

Wow your portfolio is actually amazing based on Cornell standard! This is better than 95% of the projects I have seen here, and considering yours are from half a decade ago. That is insane. To be honest I kinda get why you might have a low GPA. I know several cases when students do amazing computational or mechanical projects but end up getting C, D, F because most professors here have no knowledge in science nor technologies and tried their best to pull students back. However, the unfortunate side is the Cornell grading scale is 4.3 and GSD application does require indicating that, so that might put you to a 3.0, 3.1 GPA (unless the rules were different back in the days). 

But it is pretty well known that the teaching resources at Cornell are pretty bad and the AAP grading standard is the least responsible among the top 5. Also it is almost refreshing to not see a single concrete rockite project, I think you will be fine.

May 24, 21 4:07 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for the compliment! I’ve recently talked to my friend who graduated from gsd. We are the same graduating class and he got into Landscape design with a gpa of 3.4. He told me not to get too stressed with gpa because it’s the last priority for the admission decision. Also if this helps, I got A’s in most of my design classes, but didn’t do so well on electives... If I can ask for a favor, which top 5 projects should I include in my portfolio? My current portfolio is waaay too long. Again, thank you for your help!

May 24, 21 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Your portfolio is great - if GSD doesn't take you don't worry.  I think the competition is higher at MArch level and you should have no worries about getting in.  

With your ambitions, why isn't MIT at the top of your list.  Or European programs? 

May 24, 21 7:57 am  · 
 · 

Thanks! I haven’t thought of MIT on my list because I thought the program is more research based, vs design based. And my portfolio leans more towards design. Plus literally every single one of my references are Harvard grads haha...

May 24, 21 4:18 pm  · 
1  · 
baboo.fei

If I'm being honest OP's portfolio is pretty middle-of-the-pack for M.Arch II applications, at least the ones I have seen floating around / on Issuu. 

People do get in with this kind of portfolio but it's far from a guarantee.

Most arch-background admits for M.Arch I have a 3.6+ GPA (I think higher for non-background), no idea how much GPA matters for M.2.

GSD likes Cornell grads but I'm not sure if they like Cornell grads enough to overlook a 3.3/4.3.

May 24, 21 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Well, I’m avoiding March II program altogether because I want to study in a lecture environment this time. I’m applying for MDes and MDE programs. Sorry if It wasn’t clear in op. One of my close friends graduated the same year as me and he got into landscape program with 3.4 gpa. On the gpa it does indicate that it’s a B+ average. But idk if that would help.

May 24, 21 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
nastronaut

I can agree on the part of portfolio competition, but I severely disagree about gpa. ppl get into Harvard, mit, yale, etc. with GPA's much lower then 3.6, please don't be misleading. OP, you definitely have a chance! a 3.3 is fine, especially since u graduated so long ago

May 25, 21 10:33 am  · 
 · 

Thanks nastronaut!

I’m also trying to be more competitive by applying to Mdes and MDE programs. Seems like these programs have a lot of people without architectural backgrounds.

Do you think I will have more of an edge in those programs? 

May 25, 21 11:10 am  · 
 · 
McRuskerio

Hey I am looking into MDes, would you be able to share a follow-up?

Jan 8, 23 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
eilert4

You should me any chances are always to get there

Jan 9, 23 1:21 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Why????

Jan 9, 23 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: