Archinect
anchor

Interested in urban planning and architecture

nayarittineo

I have a B.A in  Environmental design , policy and planning . I am interested in doing a dual program with architecture and urban planning . This will mean 3.5-4 years of  study and I am not sure what concentration I want to go into but will like to gain experience in the field before I decide .... what are type of entry level jobs or internship titles I should look into to apply and really consider what I want to study on?

Apr 23, 21 12:40 am
joseffischer

if you want to work at an architecture firm, get an arch degree... otherwise, adding cost and time to your eventual non-profit or government planning job isn't going to make you more competitive.  YMMV but the dual degree people at Georgia Tech all left the arch field.  Way less stress and relatively equal money with more benefits to help a school system with their bus systems and long-term site planning (for instance).

Apr 23, 21 6:49 am  · 
1  · 
nayarittineo

I definitely more interested in design aspects , will you suggest to just go for a M.

Apr 26, 21 1:11 am  · 
 · 
nayarittineo

M.arch** as it will be more beneficial ?
would want to learn more about resilience and equity in communities , which is why I wanted to also a masters in urban planning but you think it’s possible to have that focus in M.arch ?

Apr 26, 21 1:14 am  · 
 · 
nayarittineo

Sorry for all the typos and errors , but I completely see your point because I am going to graduate this spring semester and i i find myself having difficulty to find an entry level job in planning field in general .

Apr 26, 21 1:45 am  · 
 · 
whistler

A lot depends on your interest, ie design / drawing vs. policy and administration.  I completed a B. Landscape Architecture then a Masters in Arch.  It's been a great combination for me, always easy to get jobs as the skill set was a step up from most people I was being compared with.  When I eventually started my own firm the combination has allowed me to court large scale projects and small scale. Once I  land a large planing project the office rolls into the smaller scale architecture projects. The compliment is logical and an easy way to bring in extra fees. IE today I just signed up a client on the landscape design work to compliment the architectural work we were already doing.... that is a very common occurrence.  I see no reason why an architectural degree wouldn't be an asset for your career ( even if you prefer the policy side. )

Apr 23, 21 7:30 pm  · 
1  · 
nayarittineo

Oh that is amazing that you were able to start your own firm. Yes I am interested in the design more as I want to build upon my design skills and software.

Currently only can do hand drawing ...sketches /  Arcgis pro , and some sketch up but do you think the master’s in urban planning be beneficial as well ? Along side it or will you suggest just to focus on the M.arch?

Apr 26, 21 1:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: