Archinect
anchor

UofT vs OCAD Undergrad Programs

CaoimheMc_

Hi everyone,

I'm a future architecture/design student who has received offers from UofT and OCAD. I'm still waiting to hear from UBC, which is by far my top choice, but a small program with only 50 spots. I am trying to decide which school will be best should UBC not give me an offer. I've seen a lot around both of these programs not being very good but I only decided I wanted to pursue design after entering Grade 12 and didn't take physics last year. I would love opinions on both these programs and advice on what to do? Thank you all so much.

Apr 13, 21 2:08 pm
Non Sequitur

OCAD is not an architecture school.  It is a graphic/visual art college that thinks it offers architecture studios.  Don't waste your time there.  Also important to note is that UofT's undergrad degree is a general arts degree... It's pretty bad, but definitively better than OCAD.

Apr 13, 21 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I went to OCAD a million years ago (non-architecture). Great arts school. Not an architecture school. I was still accepted to master's but it took me two extra years to do a pre-professional degree.

Apr 13, 21 8:14 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I’ve met a number of OCAD folks while I was in grad school. Neat and creative bunch but the then OCAD dean/director/whatever was making a stink with the OAA to be considered an arch school. Sorry, go through accreditation if you want to play OCAD.

Apr 13, 21 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
autoboxunit

If we are looking at the case where you are admitted to all three undergraduate programs I would say choose UBC.
If we are looking at the second case where you happen to not get an offer from UBC, I would choose UofT.

I can understand you are worried about UofT not being a pre-professional bachelor of arch. studies, but keep in mind some MArch programs in Canada do accept those from other educational backgrounds.

Apr 13, 21 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

They do, but it typically requires 1 to 2 years of extra schooling. I don't believe any Masters programs accept direct entry from non-arch bachelors.

Apr 13, 21 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
autoboxunit

For sure, you would be looking at a 3 year MArch program. Those with pre-professional degrees typically qualify for 2 years to my understanding.

Apr 13, 21 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
nastronaut

honestly, none are pre-professional, so it just matters where you get an M.Arch. Go where you think you'll be sucessful.

Apr 13, 21 10:28 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: