Archinect
anchor

UofT vs OCAD Undergrad Programs

CaoimheMc_

Hi everyone,

I'm a future architecture/design student who has received offers from UofT and OCAD. I'm still waiting to hear from UBC, which is by far my top choice, but a small program with only 50 spots. I am trying to decide which school will be best should UBC not give me an offer. I've seen a lot around both of these programs not being very good but I only decided I wanted to pursue design after entering Grade 12 and didn't take physics last year. I would love opinions on both these programs and advice on what to do? Thank you all so much.

Apr 13, 21 2:08 pm
Non Sequitur

OCAD is not an architecture school.  It is a graphic/visual art college that thinks it offers architecture studios.  Don't waste your time there.  Also important to note is that UofT's undergrad degree is a general arts degree... It's pretty bad, but definitively better than OCAD.

Apr 13, 21 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I went to OCAD a million years ago (non-architecture). Great arts school. Not an architecture school. I was still accepted to master's but it took me two extra years to do a pre-professional degree.

Apr 13, 21 8:14 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I’ve met a number of OCAD folks while I was in grad school. Neat and creative bunch but the then OCAD dean/director/whatever was making a stink with the OAA to be considered an arch school. Sorry, go through accreditation if you want to play OCAD.

Apr 13, 21 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
autoboxunit

If we are looking at the case where you are admitted to all three undergraduate programs I would say choose UBC.
If we are looking at the second case where you happen to not get an offer from UBC, I would choose UofT.

I can understand you are worried about UofT not being a pre-professional bachelor of arch. studies, but keep in mind some MArch programs in Canada do accept those from other educational backgrounds.

Apr 13, 21 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

They do, but it typically requires 1 to 2 years of extra schooling. I don't believe any Masters programs accept direct entry from non-arch bachelors.

Apr 13, 21 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
autoboxunit

For sure, you would be looking at a 3 year MArch program. Those with pre-professional degrees typically qualify for 2 years to my understanding.

Apr 13, 21 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
nastronaut

honestly, none are pre-professional, so it just matters where you get an M.Arch. Go where you think you'll be sucessful.

Apr 13, 21 10:28 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: