Archinect
anchor

The old song and dance... is the GSD worth it?

cloghead

I currently have a full ride offer from UCLA, with guarantees to work in the Urban Humanities Initiative and at cityLAB, which I am really interested in. I also have an offer from Harvard, which, if I take the current financial aid package, means I'll be taking anywhere from 40-50K a year. Additionally, my goal is to add a dual degree in city planning at either program. I do understand that the GSD's educational offerings in terms of a critically & theoretically enriching architectural education are incredible and something I really appreciate (I have a background in history, literary theory, and environmental studies from Berkeley, so I am very much a champion of a critical education.) And so anyways, I'd like to hear the thoughts of people here on whether they think the GSD is really worth it. A big part of me wants to throw caution to the wind and embrace the GSD education with the GSD cost. Thoughts?

Apr 9, 21 2:10 pm
square.

I currently have a full ride offer from UCLA.

end of story.

Apr 9, 21 2:27 pm  · 
6  · 
Non Sequitur

A wise anonymous wanker here once said "take the cheapest option".  

Apr 9, 21 2:28 pm  · 
7  · 
natematt

People usually come into these sorts of threads and are like ... i got $$$ at GSD, and $$$$ at X cheaper school.... what should I do? .... I respect that the OP actually was clear about what they were getting and what it would mean.

It sounds like 150k vs 0k.... UCLA  is a reasonably well regarded school... seems like a no brainer. 

Apr 10, 21 2:50 am  · 
8  · 
thisisnotmyname

Yup, and its not just $150K. The interest on top of that 150k will not be a small amount.

Apr 10, 21 12:22 pm  · 
4  · 
natematt

Oh of course. and who knows if the OP is accounting for housing. I think people fail to realize the scaling of school debt. 25k is going to be more of a pain than they think. 50k is a real lifestyle impact. 100k is going to hurt... and 150k..... a lot of people will literally never pay that back.

I know a lot of people here think 0k debt is the only number worth it for a degree in architecture... I still think the adage of "don't take out more than you can make your first year out of school" is a pretty fair stance... but as someone who fit into that category ... it manageable, but not fun.

Apr 10, 21 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Consider the fact that a number of GSD faculty didn't even go to the GSD - heck, some graduated from UCLA when it was run by Sylvia Lavin.

Apr 9, 21 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

UCLA is a great school. GSD is also great if you can afford it- if not the debt you will be getting yourself into will only hinder your options in the future.

Apr 10, 21 2:39 pm  · 
5  · 
atelier nobody

There is no architecture degree worth going into that much debt for.

Apr 10, 21 8:08 pm  · 
8  · 
visa

UCLA wins.

Apr 11, 21 1:24 am  · 
 · 
kx.rbz

I'm a big fan of both schools. The full-ride at UCLA is the best choice. Student loans are a serious challenge and so if you can go without dealing with them while attending a top program like UCLA...I highly recommend. Who knows, perhaps you can then apply to the GSD and get a full-ride later. The UCLA degree would help in that.

Apr 12, 21 12:41 am  · 
1  · 
thisisnotmyname

This is so true. Take the free ride UCLA now and try for a free ride PhD at Harvard later.

Apr 12, 21 6:49 pm  · 
1  · 

Do you want to work in Academia? If so go for GSD and assume a life of self imposed poverty (for a while)  If you want to work in the non for profit sector or in for profit firms do what you can afford.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Apr 12, 21 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: