Archinect
anchor

Syracuse vs UPenn vs Berkeley for Undergrad

madison.smith

Hi all! I am a senior in high school and cannot decide on which program is best. My options are the Syracuse BArch program, or just a 4 year degree from either UPenn or Berkeley (I am in-state so Berkeley tuition is much less). What do you think is the best option, especially for job opportunities in the future? 

Apr 8, 21 6:39 pm
h0wl

If you don't mind snow/cloudy weather, care about rankings, and want to get a foothold on the East coast, Syracuse is a good option but 5-yr degree can be pricey. I'm finishing their grad program and the weather can be a bummer at times. 

Berkeley in-state sounds like it'd be cheaper and allow you more flexibility to figure out if you really like architecture enough to want to pursue licensure (and M.Arch) or pivot into a related or totally different industry. 

From Philly, and Penn undergrad isn't as much of a thing as Penn grad program; while it is a great school, not sure it would do much more for you than Syracuse or Berkeley undergrad. But Philly is a fun city to live in.

Since both schools are well-ranked/regarded, job opportunities wouldn't vary too much between them aside from where you want to situate yourself after finishing (NYC vs. LA/SF). 

Apr 15, 21 11:12 am  · 
 · 
SlammingMiruvor

Are the UPenn or Berkeley degrees B.Arch or BS. Arch? Job opportunities aside, if the UPenn and Berkeley options are BS Arch degrees, you're going to need to go back to school for a M.Arch program should you want to get licensed. That's not to say they're an inferior choice. The BS. Arch programs are nice, because after 4-years they give you an out, and an opportunity to make a more informed choice on education when you're older. 

Whatever the answer is, if you don't have a strong opinion or gut feeling for 1 of the 3, pick which ever program will let you graduate the fastest, with the least amount of debt. 

Apr 15, 21 11:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: