Archinect
anchor

Master in Arch with civil eng bachelor's

barbaradaniels

Hello, 

I need some guidance and advice. So, I've always watched to get into architecture but I think that's mostly stopped me is self-doubt. I changed my mind about going with architecture in high school because (it may sound dumb now) but I can't draw and I was just nervous about being criticized for my creativity. 

Fast forward I turned my interest to civil engineering because I could rely on the technicality and not necessarily my creativity. In June 2020, I graduated from Carleton with BEng - Civil in the midst of a pandemic. That got me thinking, why don't I actually go back to my first love and pursue a career in Arch. My question is is it feasible to get into a Master in Arch without the educational background? Please advise.

Apr 1, 21 7:36 pm
Non Sequitur

Carleton, as in in Ottawa? If so, yes, they take non arch applicants for a 3y M.Arch. I trust that you’ve ventured into the arch building a few times to see what goes on in there. 

Apr 1, 21 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
barbaradaniels

​Yes, Carleton U in Ottawa and yes I've been in there. Do you think I'll be at a huge disadvantage with that path? I think I need a go-ahead if that it's possible in general

Apr 1, 21 7:48 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Not at a disadvantage, esp if you know what the school does. You will need to produce a competitive portfolio tho showcasing your creative thought process and aptitude.

Apr 1, 21 7:51 pm  · 
1  · 
barbaradaniels

Thanks so much. It's definitely encouraging. Do you have any advice on how to get started on the portfolio (maybe software-wise)?

Apr 1, 21 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Pick up a pencil and start sketching.

Apr 1, 21 8:24 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

To be clear. You will be competing with a mix of people with architectural backgrounds and non-architectural backgrounds. The range of portfolios will be very wide, it will need to be competitive, but not necessarily trying to compete with people who have done 4 years of architecture school already. Be creative, lean into your strengths, show some personality.

Apr 1, 21 8:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

^All good points. Also worth noting that they won't expect you to show architecture... so don't try if you don't know what you're doing.

Apr 1, 21 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
analoguearchitect

@Barbara I'm a civE undergrad who's headed into an M.Arch 1 program this fall. So definitely possible! I also can't draw (been slowly learning to sketch) but I used a mix of photographs, poetry, and renderings (that I just looked up tutorials for) to make my portfolio. Also make sure to bring in some of your engineering background - it's a strength, not something holding you back.

Apr 2, 21 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: