Archinect
anchor

UMich vs WashU Undergraduate architecture

jjnojam

Hi, I'm a high school senior choosing between UMich and WashU for undergraduate architecture. I know that both programs are non-accredited BS instead of BArch. I hope to study both architecture & other subjects and hopefully get into a good MArch program.

After browsing through their website I felt like UMich has a better faculty for undergraduate teaching and stronger/bigger alumni, considering the school itself has a huge alumni network. Also, UMich has a prof whose work really interests me (but i don't know if that is important or not since undergraduate arch students usually don't have the opportunity to do research.) Students at UMich told me that the program also has students who go to GSAPP. 

At the same time, I have heard that WashU has a very strong four-year program. I also heard that WashU's students were accepted to HarvardGSD. Just as a side note, I know some people who apply to UMich got rejected by WashU, but I guess that doesn’t really mean anything. Maybe WashU has more of a prestigious private research institution vibe? Also, WashU claims that they fully support undergraduate research :)

Another thing is that UMich and WashU both have 60-70 students per year, but ~30% or more of WashU students go to graduate school whereas only ~13% of UMich students do so.  

I guess my question would be which program has a better reputation and prepares their students for MArch. The tuition and fees are not a factor. Any information will be greatly appreciated! :) Thank you!

Mar 31, 21 6:18 pm
baboo.fei

Current graduating senior at WashU (BS. Arch + CS minor). Heading to the GSD for M.Arch I AP this fall.

Not sure where you are getting the 60-70 number from; my class is ~30 people, ~25% applied to grad school this cycle.

Sounds like your goals (interdisciplinary undergrad experience + M.Arch placement) align pretty well with what WashU has to offer. I think about 3-5 people go to the GSD each year (5 in 2020, 3 in class of 2021 + 2 rollovers), and a few more to the other top programs.

In terms of undergrad research: I'm a undergrad research assistant right now working with a professor on their project. We are examining the legacy and history of architecture education in the eastern bloc during the Cold War years. I'm contributing drawings and mappings for the project, which will ultimately be compiled into a book. I think the school is really pushing for most of the senior faculty to take at least one undergrad RA if they are actively working on research.

That being said, UMich is a great school, too. I'm not too familiar with their program tho. Let me know if you'd like to learn more about WashU.

Mar 31, 21 7:51 pm  · 
1  · 
jjnojam

Thank you so much for your information! I did ask a current student for the size and maybe she was referring to the size of the freshmen class. Do arch students transfer to other majors often? I have another question regarding minoring or double-majoring in areas outside of architecture. How manageable is your schedule? Thank you again! You are so helpful :)))

Apr 1, 21 8:41 am  · 
 · 
jjnojam

Apr 1, 21 8:40 am  · 
 · 
j.adrian

I'm a WashU alumnus (B.S Arch, class of 2020) who just got accepted into Harvard GSD for M.Arch I this fall.

WashU definitely has a good reputation among the top architecture graduate schools in the USA. All my friends have gotten into Harvard  GSD, MIT, Yale SoA and Columbia GSAPP for M.Arch I. 

There's an especially large community of WashU alumni in the GSD. Usually there are 3 to 6+ WashU students getting into the GSD per year from a class of 40. Besides the Berkeley/Cornell alumni, the community of WashU alumni is definitely one of the largest.

Apr 2, 21 5:49 am  · 
1  · 
jjnojam

Thank you so much for your input!

Apr 2, 21 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: