Archinect
anchor

UIUC/GTech

Tsintoo

Hi guys, 

I recently received an admit from Georgia Tech and the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign for the 2-year M.Arch program. I got a scholarship in UIUC but am still waiting to hear back from GIT regarding the same. 

I attended both universities' open houses and thought GIT's faculty was more approachable, and they have several new courses for the program from this fall. UIUC has great courses as well.

Here's where I'm confused. I have heard that UIUC is more art/design-oriented while GIT is more technical and concentrates on building performance, structures, and practicality. I want to know if this is true. I also want to which university graduates find jobs more easily across the country.

A little background about myself: I completed my B. Arch in India and have been working for a year now. 

Mar 29, 21 6:24 pm

I went to UIUC and the program aspires to high design and it is getting there but they still have excellent technical training. If you can take the M.Arch + M.S. This is there well respected structures program you can be very well prepared for a rewarding career. M.Arch + M.S.C.E. (Construction Management) where you get weekly site visits on a major construction project and see firsthand the realities and consequences of design decisions with experienced professionals teaching you on a construction site is a great opportunity to learn construction details and practices. the folks who have the structural or construction management focus are doing well and have job offers typically upon graduation.

Champaign Urbana has an excellent public transit system and the walkable communities in West Urbana, where I lived, are affordable and have all the things you need close at hand so you won't need a car.  The culture is Midwestern with faculty and fellow students being generous and helpful with time and the occasional trip to the art supply store. There is a regular train to Chicago and many of the students and faculty are from the Chicago area. The only thing is the climate, in Atlanta the weather is closer to what you would be used to, in central Illinois we get snow and cold temperatures and sometimes very high winds in the winter and relatively pleasant temperatures in the spring and fall and hot and humid in the few summer months, but most of the year you will be cold as compared to most of India. Champaign Urbana has a Hindi temple and a large community of faculty and students from India. 

I Think you need to look into the projects the studios are doing and make another visit if you can or have a zoom chat with some of the faculty and students at both schools before deciding. If the studios are doing projects you will be interested in then you will have better chances of success and you won't get bored or frustrated trying to fit into an aesthetic or design philosophy you don't like or don't understand. 

Look into the AIAS chapters for a person to reach out to (AIAS is the American Institute of Architecture Students) https://www.aiasillinois.com/

Either way you have two good choices, you are very fortunate.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 31, 21 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

I know the director at UCIC and he has extremely high ambitions for the program and I think the skills to get the school there. I've taught at GT but not recently. There are some great faculty there and Atlanta is blowing up in terms of growing. As above, two great choices - a lot could come down to location and your preference. 

Mar 31, 21 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: