Archinect
anchor

UVA vs. GSD M. Arch

rwalker1993

Hey all,

I was recently admitted to UVA and GSD for an M. Arch 3/3.5. I'm a non-arch background, and I was hoping to get some opinions on both schools. I have half tuition at Harvard and a meager merit scholarship at UVA.

My girlfriend was admitted to UVA's Law School but not to Harvard's, so it's likely we'll end up at UVA.

My question is, what am I missing out on by not going to GSD? What does it offer that UVA can't? They both appear fairly theory and design based; neither by their curriculum seem to have a particularly technical foundation like MIT or Cornell (which were my first two choices). Harvard has a hallowed reputation, but it's been hard for me to justify exactly why the education is so impressive.

Thanks much.

Mar 24, 21 12:31 pm
Jay1122

GSD wins, the whole point is the reputation of the school. As far as the education quality, all the schools are not that far apart. Academic architecture is about self exploration. Find your "Architecture" that you want to explore. You can still be technical savvy even in design oriented school. In fact, it helps your portfolio a lot more. Every recruiting manager will get impressed by your beautiful and complex drawings and skip through your thesis philosophy. Only time you don't want to choose ivy is because of money. Go to UVA just because your GF is there is simply stupid to me.

Mar 24, 21 1:56 pm  · 
3  · 
rwalker1993

Good to know about being tech savvy in a design oriented school, and good to know that the programs are pretty self-directed. That's definitely attractive to me.

Mar 24, 21 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Harvard all day long.  You and GF should live apart during the school semester anyway so that you can each focus on your intense schoolwork.  A relative of mine passed on GSD in the 1990's because of a relationship issue like yours and they regret it to this day.

Mar 24, 21 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

It's only a 9 hour (minimum) drive through a lot of crappy traffic-heavy areas to get from Princeton to Charlottesville.  No biggie. 

Mar 24, 21 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
rwalker1993

Lol, yeah that's a pretty tough trek. I think there's also a train that will take you from Charlottesville to Boston, but a 10 hour trip is not ideal.

Mar 24, 21 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

But what will be cost difference? If you're not from Virginia then it's probably about the same per year.... but did you get different financial aid? Do you have to do the same amount of years of school at both? 

Cost is often the best reason people decide not to go to Harvard... and it can be a pretty good one in my mind. 

If you are actually going to be saving a lot of money going to harvard.... 

Mar 24, 21 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
rwalker1993

I do have different financial aid at both schools, more at Harvard. However, it's still significantly cheaper to attend UVA, not to mention that I'd be done half a year early at UVA.

Mar 24, 21 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

How much is significantly?

What do you think your debt will be coming out of each of these options? 

Mar 24, 21 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
rwalker1993

It will probably be about 50K a year for UVA and around 65-70K for Harvard, though I may be able to negotiate. I'm getting some financial support from my parents in regards to tuition as well, so my debt shouldn't be debilitating coming out of either program.

Mar 24, 21 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
The_Crow

You will regret not going to the GSD honestly. You'll make the type of connections that will shape the rest of your career, and your resume will always be at the top of every applicant list. I'd really try to make long distance work if you can.

Mar 24, 21 6:19 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: