Archinect
anchor

RISD, WashU, UVA

architecture?

Anybody have thoughts about any of these MArch programs? How much impact does the location of a graduate program have on future career prospects? Are the career options more limited at a school like UVA vs a more conceptual program like RISD?

Anybody else considering any of these 3 programs? It would be great to connect.

Mar 23, 21 10:17 pm
architecture?

Would it be ill-advised to turn down these offers in order to re-apply at larger programs like Penn and GSD and maybe try for the first time at UMich? Would a bigger program necessarily mean more exploration?

Apr 2, 21 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
proto

These are high quality programs with plenty of "conceptual" work. The profs are on the circuit with other top schools (meaning they attended or did Adjunct or other teaching at other prominent schools). 

UVA is a bit in the stix but it doesn't seem to limit its graduates. RISD & WashU have similar profiles, at least relative to world-center cities.

GSD might be a bit higher, but UMich & Penn are right in line with these others so no opportuity lost.

Apr 2, 21 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
architecture?

Thanks proto, good to hear these are all respectable programs. I'd say part of my concern is less about reputation and more about program size (those other 3 are all much larger cohort sizes & larger full time faculty) and I'd imagine this allows for a bit more exploration. Does this make the significant difference I'm imagining or is that not a good enough reason to re-apply?

Apr 4, 21 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
proto

I’d suggest smaller is better for more attention from the profs, just imho. It would also engender closer relationships with them which might serve you better for future connections.

Altho I could see how going to school in a major city might open up more opportunities for work during/beyond school...

Why the hesitation at this point in the application process? Revisit your interest in why you applied to these particular programs; has anything changed?

Apr 4, 21 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
architecture?

Thank you for entertaining my second-guessing. I guess I've always known the programs were all strong in terms of curriculum but once getting in I got more concerned about location and school size and how that would impact my network and future opportunities. I have also heard that if I'm at all interested in teaching to really get a foot in the door you need to have come from one of a few specific elite schools.

Apr 7, 21 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: